Blood Drive this Tuesday, Jan. 28

This Tuesday, Jan. 28, Washington University is having another blood drive in cooperation with the American Red Cross and the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center. While it is always important to donate every opportunity we get, this drive is particularly important because the recent weather has caused a shortage of blood donations in our area. During the snowstorms in early January, organizations such as the American Red Cross had to cancel 320 blood drives in 25 states, causing a shortage of more than 9,300 blood and platelet donations. Therefore, the organizations have asked that we make an extra effort to donate during this drive, in order to help the St. Louis community and make sure that everybody who needs a transfusion can receive one.

Taking an hour of your time to donate can have a bigger impact than you might expect, even within our own Wash. U. community. During our last blood drive, we asked some of the donors why they decided to give blood. Here are some of the answers we received:

I’m donating blood because…

I have more blood to give than money.

My fear of needles isn’t a good enough reason not to save lives.

A blood transfusion saved my life!

I can, so why shouldn’t I?

My mom survived her battle with cancer thanks to the donations of others.

My dad and grandpa both have received blood, and I would like to help other families the way they have helped mine.

I believe in helping out the community, and you never know when one of your family members might need blood.

My little cousin had a heart transplant at 5 weeks old. He is now 6 and doing amazing!

As an economist I always intend to achieve the greatest benefit at the minimum cost. Less than 10 minutes for me can mean more than 10 years for someone else.

We, the Blood Drive Leadership Team, ask that you think about donating or volunteering on Tuesday, Jan. 28, when the blood drive comes to campus. A list of the times and locations are provided below.

Danforth University Center, Room 276: 9 a.m.-9 p.m.

Danforth University Center, Room 234: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

Olin Gym, Medical School: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.

Simon Hall Undergraduate Lounge: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

Lopata Hall Gallery: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

College Hall, South 40: 2 p.m.-9 p.m.

West Campus, Room 350: 8 a.m.-1 p.m.

—Rahul Aggarwal, Julia Millot and the rest of the Blood Drive Leadership Team