Op-ed: Apply to Senate

Brian Adler | Speaker of SU Senate

To my fellow Washington University students:

I am thrilled to invite you to apply to Student Union Senate! Going into the spring semester, Senate will have five open positions that we plan on filling before winter break.

Being an SU senator is an incredible privilege that empowers you to bring positive change to the Washington University community. From mental health advocacy, sexual violence prevention, environmentalism, to small projects like demanding mozzarella sticks, Senate is at the forefront of the issues that students care about on campus.

As we begin the spring semester, we will be continuing the large-scale mental health and sexual violence prevention initiatives, while each individual senator will be working on their own smaller-scale projects. We have resolutions in progress that call for meal points to rollover annually; increase the printing credit given to Sam Fox students; mandate Intervene, Green Dot and Safe Zones training for SU officers; and so much more.

I know I am beyond excited about the projects that we are undertaking, and I sincerely hope that you apply to give yourself the same incredible opportunity to serve in the interest of your fellow students.

Apply using the link below! The form closes at 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 9. As speaker of the Senate, I’ll personally interview many of the candidates during reading week, if not sooner.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQ LScfhwAV-pmjgYWUMOoxNM7SPBjbz7Gc5DNPab3MoTdBTazItA/viewform

If Senate isn’t quite up your alley, also keep in mind that Election Commissioner Steven Kish is looking for applications for his new Election Commission. The Election Commission is the body that proposes Student Union’s election rules, organizes our elections and decides how to enforce our rules.  The application and more information are available at https://grouporganizer.wustl.edu/submitter/form/step/1?Guid=c30aa4ce-d544-4985-af25-95a7d005babb. The deadline for applications is Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 12:00 p.m. Please e-mail Election Commissioner Steven Kish at [email protected] with any questions you might have.

For any other questions, about Senate or anything else, you can shoot me an email at [email protected] or call/text me at (310) 600-9785 if you have any questions at all.