Letter to the Editor: America’s unchanging role in the world

Jose Madero | Ph.D. Candidate

A Student Life article on last Monday’s debate highlights its “civil nature.” It was indeed a very courteous debate. That is not surprising, since that is what happens when you get four people who think the same way to talk to each other. The debate promised to address “the evolving role of the United States on the international stage,” yet it only managed to highlight how the view of America’s role has not changed at all. According to the panelists, previous wars started by the U.S., such as those in Vietnam and Afghanistan, were a necessity. The $700 billion military budget could use a few bucks more. The next intervention (read: criminal war) is inevitable and right around the corner. As for nuclear bombs, let’s keep piling them up. The U.S. of A. has never done and will never do anything wrong.

That shouldn’t surprise anyone who has heard of the Cato, Koch, and Brookings Institutes before. Their stance on “defense strategies” is the same the country has been following for long and, if labeled correctly, would be called “offense strategies.” In the spirit of debate, here is one actual idea of how America’s role in the world could evolve:

Since 9/11, the U.S. has spent over $3 trillion in providing home-delivery of murder to some of the poorest people on Earth. Instead of more of the same, how about spending the next $3 trillion on providing everyone on Earth with a glass of water and a place to s—?