A guide for men on how to be better feminists

Matthew Wallace | Staff Writer

Disclaimer: If you often feel personally attacked by society for correcting injustices that have plagued women since the dawn of time, this article isn’t for you. If you are the type of person who believes maternity leave is a free vacation, this isn’t for you. If you still aren’t convinced that sexual harassment is a real epidemic, even after thousands of women posted on social media through the #MeToo movement, then this really, really isn’t for you. No, this is for men who recognize that being a decent human is equal to being a feminist but who still need advice on how to become a better one, beyond marching in pink hats.

1: Actually listen to women and support their ideas
Take a page from White House staffers during the Obama administration. In order to make their voices heard and their ideas properly credited, the staffers used a technique called amplification. They would repeat an idea proposed by a woman, properly giving her credit. This prevented a man from claiming an idea as his own and led to the president calling on women for advice more often as time went on. Supporting the ideas of those less privileged in the workplace will help more women gain positions of power and further dispel the notion that women cannot do certain jobs.

2: Stop using equating femininity to weakness
“You throw like a girl.” “Don’t be such a drama queen.” “You’re being sensitive—is it your time of the month?” Men want to be seen as strong and unmoving against anything the world throws at them. We get the same haircuts for our entire lives; we only have three options for formal/business attire; and we have to cull weakness to fit a mold of what “real men” are like. That weakness is often equated with being too “feminine.” When someone doesn’t have a strong arm in sports, they’re going to hear “you throw like a girl” at some point. But, as Mythbusters proved, and as anyone who has seen college softball can attest to, throwing like a girl is an insult that has no basis in fact—rather, it’s rooted in sexism. Similarly, displaying emotion is also seen as a weakness among men because apparently only women have feelings. Newsflash: We all feel emotions and need to properly deal with them. Emotional intelligence is not about controlling your emotions but rather about acknowledging them to develop a better understanding of who you are as a person. We all know strong, highly accomplished women, so, maybe we should start doing more things “like a girl.”

3: Call out other men for their behavior
We all know the feeling of being in a group and hearing someone say something really sexist. It may be that one guy who “just has no filter” or our friend who “is a womanizer, but not a predator.” Silence, a form of inaction, allows this horrid behavior and attitude about women to fester and grow. Today your friend tells a stupid joke; next month, he calls every woman not interested in him a b—-; and next year he sexually harasses the women who work for him because he has all the power. Calling out these inexcusable actions may decrease the amount of people you can call your friend, but ask yourself: Is that really someone you want in your life? Is that the type of person you want to introduce to the important women in your life? Is this the type of behavior you want in the world? If you aren’t a scumbag, then the answer is obviously no.

4: Don’t support men who take advantage of women
You can yell at the top of your lungs at powerful men to change their ways, but they so rarely do without a monetary or judicial penalty for their actions. Speak with your wallet. Don’t be complicit in funding their perpetual shield that prevents consequences for their actions. Don’t go to listen to their music (Chris Brown, R. Kelly, Eminem, John Lennon), watch their movies (Sean Penn, Bill Murray, Michael Fassbender) or buy their merchandise/use their services (Beats by Dr. Dre, Uber). People in power only want to stay in power. Take your business elsewhere and encourage others in your life to do the same—this can force change.

5: Sit down, be humble
You aren’t taking on a huge responsibility by speaking up for women. You don’t deserve a parade or unyielding thanks for telling your sh—ty frat brother to stop being an idiot when he says sexist things. Women aren’t going to throw themselves at you because you treat them like human beings. Supporting women is not about what you can gain from it; it is about what you should be doing, regardless of whether anyone is paying attention.

So, there it is: Five ways you can actively make the world a better place for literally 3.8 billion people. Of course, there are more ways to achieve change, but these are the ones that can be done very easily, every single day. We are only able to live the lives we currently lead because countless, nameless women have fought for equal rights. The absolute least we can do as men is to not stand in their way—we need to support them, instead.