Letter to the Editor

Jonathan Katz | Professor of Physics

Ms. Hutson’s account shows what happens when amateurs attempt to invent a criminal justice system in place of the real criminal justice system: a rapist gets off scot-free, and may go on to rape again somewhere else. The real system has real penalties (many years’ imprisonment) for the guilty, and real safeguards for the innocent accused. The amateur system can, at most, expel the perpetrator, trivializing the crime of rape by imposing the same penalty as for cheating on an exam.

The purpose of the “Title IX” system is not to punish rape, which it cannot do. It is to avoid the bad publicity of a Washington University student or former student on trial for rape in the criminal courts. University administrators fear one thing only, bad publicity.

If the Wash. U. administration wanted to prevent rape, it would ban alcohol from all University-owned residences, and not obstruct the enforcement of the drinking-age laws.

• Savannah Martin

Funny, I thought the cause of rape was rapists, not alcohol. What Wash. U. really needs to do is address the attitudes on campus that encourage and protect rapists–which often stem from the normalization of sexist beliefs and behaviors (this phenomenon is called “rape culture”).

Maybe if we could create a campus climate that valued and protected all people equally, and which made it obvious that rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment were unacceptable, then potential rapists and sexual assailants might feel less entitled to assault others. Perhaps the community would improve if there were more/better role models within the faculty and administration? Just spitballin’ here.

• tryingtobeobjective

Your pretending that you are an expert in gender and equality issues is silly.

• Lmao

Remember unionizing lead to tenures, which is what makes katz un-fireable despite being the only 30+ year old professor that regularly argues with teenagers.