Mental illness prevention

Stephanie Smarr | Op-Ed Submission

Perhaps you have seen the new series, “This Emotional Life,” which first aired on PBS in January. On the show, mental illnesses are described as diseases with physical bases. Read: no different than physical illnesses—except that mental illnesses impair psychological functioning.

This message on television is a positive sign, yet mental health continues to take the backseat to physical health—in our health care system and in society.

Most mental health services are currently treatment-based versus preventative in nature. But like physical illness, mental illness is not inevitable. With the proper prevention methods, the development of mental disorders might be avoided.

Targeting youth with these interventions is critical. Oftentimes mental illness develops in adolescence and young adulthood. Feelings of sadness, anxiety and anger can fester and become debilitating. We have to help kids become more emotionally self-aware. This can help them better recognize their emotional suffering so they can seek help.

What would this look like? In elementary school, teachers could teach students about emotions. During the middle and high school years, efforts to improve students’ emotional intelligence could continue. Students would learn how their emotions are tied to specific thoughts and physical sensations in the body. This would aid in the development of emotion regulation, meaning students would learn to influence the course of their emotions by changing the way they think in response to stressors.

The beautiful thing is that these are life skills we are talking about. Everyone would benefit, including both those genetically prone to developing mental illness and those who are not.

Let’s face it: Growing up is not easy for anyone. Adolescents must navigate the journey from childhood to adulthood and all it entails: puberty, asserting independence from parents, identity formation and so on.

Complicate this with our fast-paced, technological and hyper-sexualized society. Children are forced to grow up faster than ever before. They face novel challenges, like online bullying and sexting. Now, more than ever, we need to equip youth with an emotional skill-set to help them be resilient and deal with adversity.

The odds of this happening in the current environment are extremely low. Many schools have already cut recess and art and music programs. It’s such a shame. We are not teaching youth to balance work and play. This alone is not good for emotional health.

We really are failing our youth. A great deal of suffering could be prevented, or at least minimized, if we were to start teaching life skills to youth to cope with daily stressors.

Fewer kids would be robbed of some of the most important developmental years of their lives—the years when their peers are discovering their identity, dating and exploring intimacy. Because the fact of the matter is, these years are irreplaceable and many people are suffering silently.

It’s time we start intervening sooner. We owe it to our kids.

• Sarah

Seriously, DJ Jaffe? Your article has so many ridiculous points, but I don’t feel like spending a lot of time writing about it. Stephanie Smarr wrote about a very important issue. She wasn’t asserting that ALL mental illnesses can be avoided (she compared them to physical illness, which everyone knows cannot always be avoided). Educating people on how to identify mental health problems isn’t about making people “happier,” although I think that would probably be a side effect for many. Mental illness rarely strikes completely out of the blue (ex. going from no problems to schizophrenic in one day). If people can recognize when something starts to go wrong, an enormous amount of suffering could be prevented. I agree with your opinion that people suffering from schizophrenia, or who are overtly psychotic, are stigmatized. That doesn’t mean you get to attack anyone who helps non-schizophrenics. A lot of other horrible things can happen to people. Schizophrenia is not the only one. Your intentions are good. Even though I think your article has some faulty logic, I’m sure it must be extremely frustrating for you to see the often horrible conditions that people suffering from severe mental illness have to deal with. But you’re allowing that frustration to blind you to the suffering of others. Imagine how many children who’ve been sexually, physically, and/or emotionally abused could be saved from depression, substance abuse, etc. in their adult lives if they got help earlier. That’s certainly not the only example, and I’m sure it wouldn’t always help. But action that can prevent suffering should be welcomed, not criticized because it won’t help every single person.

To Stephanie Smarr: Great article! I think this is a very important issue that doesn’t come up enough.

• http://twitter.com/TheRealMrMe DJ Jaffe

If the author of this op-ed knows how to ‘prevent’ schizophrenia or bipolar, could he/she please let the scientific community know? What the author is describing is how to make people happier. Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are not ‘preventable’. For more information I direct the author to this essay, “Mental Health kills the Mentally Ill”. The author’s post is exactly what this article talks about
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dj-jaffe/mental-health-kills-the-m_b_426672.html