Arizona immigration law should incite outrage

As college students, we grapple with striking that balance between idealism and pragmatism when we articulate our views on the political and social issues of the day. We are criticized for failing to see the full picture and middle ground, yet our voices are a sound of hope that represent the full, dreamland potential of our nation. Deep down, we know that it would be impossible for all our stated goals to be realized, but we speak with the expectation that our voices will help guide those in power to make conscientious decisions that are able to strike that balance our nation so desperately needs. A recently enacted immigration law has disregarded the ideals of our nation, trampled upon pragmatism and resulted in a despotic law that ignores the most basic rights of others.

Last Friday, Arizona Gov. Janice Brewer signed into law a controversial bill passed by the state legislature that requires all police officers, “when practicable,” to demand immigration papers from anyone whom they have “reasonable suspicion” to believe is in the country illegally. Furthermore, the law requires all those who have legally immigrated to the country to carry their papers with them at all times, or else they will be in violation of the immigration law.

[poll id="88"]

Governor Brewer, a Republican, has assured the enraged public that under no circumstances would she condone racial profiling. But it’s nearly impossible to prevent racial profiling when the premise of the law itself is ultimately centered on racial profiling. The word “reasonable” is one of the most ambiguous words in policymaking and is the layer of ice on a slippery slope that enables the government to strip Americans of their inalienable rights. For in this situation, what constitutes as reasonable suspicion? Is it the color of someone’s skin? His accent? His profession? Perhaps it’s the sound of the Mexican music that emanates from his family’s home? It is hard to conjure up any genuine circumstances that would rouse enough “reasonable suspicion” to provoke a city police officer to demand the immigration paperwork of a person.

The reality is that we live in a racial society, and the probability that a law like this can be enacted without phenotypic judgment at the hands of the government is bleak. No one is questioning the need for immigration reform, but this law is racist at its core and makes a mockery out of the founding principles of the United States. While the ultimate solution for immigration reform will continue to be polarized along party lines, the situation in Arizona is not a political issue—it is a human issue. Our fellow citizens—neighbors who have spent years filling out paperwork and passing tests to legally obtain citizenship—will be forced to legitimize their presence in a country that they rightfully call home.

At Wash. U., the student body has successfully spearheaded dialogue and movements on many social and political issues, but immigration reform has yet to take center stage. Whether it is because we think it only tangentially impacts us or because there has never been an impetus to spark campus-wide discourse is irrelevant. Let this backward law be our call to action. We have a responsibility to the people in Arizona and to our fellow immigrant neighbors in St. Louis to speak out against what we know to be wrong. We need to let the government know that such a racist law will not be tolerated in our country. We need to ensure that this Arizona law will only serve to spur meaningful dialogue and suitable, balanced policymaking on immigration reform. Let’s make Arizona the shining example of what should not happen with immigration reform.

• Marcia Manzello

This is what I would call “Crime Against Humanity.”
    Arizona’s law orders immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times and requires police to question people if there’s reason to suspect they’re in the United States illegally.
    It also targets those who hire illegal immigrant laborers or knowingly transport them.
    I would never guess that would happen in America “The Land Of The Freedom”.

• Todd

No, the only outrage is fools like you, and those that support the breaking of federal and now a Arizona state law.

P.S. Anytime you jerks want to go to the mat over this, we’re ready.

• Don

American laws are for americans! If you are not american you do not have rights here! In case you don’t know, if you are in another country you have none of THEIR rights! KEY WORD THEIR! Get the picture yet? The constatution was written for the people that live here and are citizens. Why do I feel like I have to explain it like I was talking to a first grader?

• http://MoxillaFirefox dick

Illegals are illegals no matter where they are from. The laws of the United States and of Arizona forbid crossing our border illegally. The Federal government has failed to protect Arizona from Illegals so we had to try to do it ourselves. Polls show that over 70 percent of Arizonans support SB1070. The largest cry against this bill is the minority of latinos. Are these people real Americans? Why don’t they demonstrate in Mexico against the reasons that so many are trying to escape that corrupt country? I doubt that they would be on the street for long. America is struggling to support the legal residents in this sick economy. There just isn’t enough resources for us to take on 12 to 20 million more. If the city council of Nogales, Mexico advocates any restrictions on Americans crossing into Mexico, Arizona should place an embargo on all Mexican produce trucks entering the U.S.
    If you want to save the U.S.A.
    Get on your knees and pray!

• K. Werner

Author, you state: ” It is hard to conjure up any genuine circumstances that would rouse enough “reasonable suspicion” to provoke a city police officer to demand the immigration paperwork of a person.”

A simple traffic stop where the driver presents their Mexican Voter Registration Card, Consular ID Card (Matricula Consular) or Baja California Driver License when telling the officer they live within the city limits and have done so for 5 years or more. Those are “genuine circumstances” which occur daily within the county in which I work. You obviously have not had to deal with the seamier side of life where individuals live in shacks on hillsides (above and separate from the neighborhoods) and have to be arrested for being drunk in public, assault or child molest. Those are other “genuine circumstances” in which a city or county law enforcement official might also demand the immigration paperwork of a person.

• http://www.jpyork.biz Jay York

Example of what SB 1070 means!!
    >
    >
    > If you had tickets to a sports event, concert, or on an airplane, and when you got to your assigned seat, and someone else was in that seat, what would you do? You would call for a person in charge of ticket checking and have the person in your seat removed. You would be properly asked to show your ticket, and you would gladly and proudly do so, for you have bought and paid for that seat. The person in your seat would also be asked for a ticket, and they would not be able to produce one. They would be called “gate crashers” and they would be properly removed.
    >
    > Now in this huge stadium called the USA we have had millions of gate crashers. We have been asking security to check for tickets and remove the gate crashers. We have been asking security to have better controls in checking at the door. We have asked security to lock the back doors. Security has failed us. They are still looking the other way. They are afraid to ask to see the tickets. Many people say there is unlimited seating, and whether there is or not, no one should be allowed in for free while the rest of us pay full price!
    >
    > In section AZ, of Stadium USA, we have had enough of the failures of Security. We have decided to do our own ticket checking, and properly remove those who do not have tickets. Now it seems very strange to me that so many people in the other 49 sections, and even many in our own section do not want tickets checked, or even be asked to show their ticket! Even the head of Security is chastising us, while not doing his own job which he has sworn to do.
    >
    > My own ticket has been bought and paid for so I am going to proudly show it when asked to do so. I have a right to my seat, and I want the gate crashers to be asked to show their tickets too. The only reason that I can imagine anyone objecting to being asked for their ticket is that they are in favor of gate crashing, and all of the illegal activities that go with it. Such as drug smuggling, gang wars, murder, human smuggling for profit, and many more illegal and inhumane acts that we are trying to prevent with our new legislation. Is that what I am hearing from all of the protestors such as Phoenix Mayor Gordon, US Rep. Grijalva, even President Obama? If you are not in favor of showing tickets, (proof of citizenship, passport, green card, or other legal document) when asked, as I would proudly do, then you must be condoning those illegal activities.
    >
    > Ant time I have traveled to a foreign country (even in the Military wearing my uniform) I still had to show I.D..
    >
    > Not ever thinking they were racial profiling me, nor any of the other Sailors or Marines I was with. That thought never crossed our minds and certainly does not apply to today’s standards. It is standard procedure anywhere in the world.
    >
    > I still have to show my papers /Passport when I go to Mexico or Canada or else I get arrested for NOT carrying my papers. Why is that so hard to comprehend?
    >
    > Again, the rest of the world is laughing at us for yet another dumb liberal argument.
    >
    > Be sure this gets to those who need to have it explained.
    >
    > Thanks I have to get on a plane and show my ID and ticket.
    >
    > Excuse me, there’s a U.S. Veteran I must THANK.
    >
    > GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    > –

• lisa

Until you live in a border town most have no idea what they are talking about. I do live in a border town and I am tired of my fences being cut, picking up all the illegals trash, my out buildings being broke into. And last week we finally were able to catch some of the drug runners who were using our ranch as a drop off point. With drugs you get guns, with guns you get violence. I am tired of it. I want the illegals stopped and I don’t care what law they have to pass to keep the illegal drug runners out of my country. Also My neighbor was SHOT and KILLED on his ranch about 2-3 weeks ago. MY other neighbor is a truck driver and the illegals torched his semi because he wouldn’t feed them, now he has lost his lively hood. You want to be in this country then do it the right way!!!! If I go to Mexico or any other country, I am asked for my papers, and I show them without hesitation, is that racial profiling because I don’t look like them? I think not. If you do not have your papers on you in some country’s you will go to prison. Haven’t you listened to the news of the people lock up in the middle east for crossing borders illegally. Here all we do is give illegals a free ride home at the taxpayers expense. If you don’t believe me go to Tucson airport and see the plane that leaves every day to return illegals. I am tired of my taxes being used for that. Besides all that, there always has been immigration laws.

• jaded student

First of all, it’s good to see a lot of people who are not extreme liberals and actually from Arizona posting on this article. Most of the liberal people against this law are not even from Arizona! Leave Arizonans to their own business and don’t get involved if you don’t live there.

Second, when you get a driver’s license in any state you MUST show valid identification, like a birth certificate. Whenever a cop asks for “papers”, if you’re a citizen, a driver’s license will suffice. Legal residents are required to keep their green cards on them at all times. The only people who don’t have papers are those here ILLEGALLY.

Lastly, illegal immigration is a large problem for many different groups of people in this country. The American taxpayers have to foot the bill for the various welfare services illegals utilize. The American taxpayers must also pay for the extra law enforcement that is required when some illegals decide to turn to drug trafficking and gang activity to make money. The illegals themselves are harmed because they get paid extremely low wages by employers and live in terrible housing conditions. As illegals, they have no rights under the U.S. Constitution and can’t bring a lawsuit up against employers. The third group that is hurt by illegal immigration is legal immigrants. Most legal immigrants hate illegal immigration because they had to work for years to learn English and American civics (not an easy task), while illegals just come over here from everywhere in the world and get to live here and obtain government benefits. Legal immigration is great, that is the way our country has developed the past 200 years. Legal immigration brings in people who work hard and are well educated and well behaved. If people want to come over here and work, they should go through the proper legal channels.

• Andy

Go Arizona, go! Illegal is illegal. They think they are above the law because there is so many of them already. The feds do nothing then it’s time for states to take over. Simple.

• http://www.jpyork.biz Jay York

I just wonder why they wave the Mexican flag, they burn the American flag, they sing the American National Anthem in Spanish, they won’t learn the language, they don’t pay taxes, they have a total disregard for the law, they won’t become legal citizens but yet they want everything for free. Free food, free medical, tax free money, free housing. Then they wonder why the people of America don’t want illegals here! Things that make you say WT*?

• Jim

“…We need to let the government know that such a racist law will not be tolerated in our country….” ???

The only racist laws in Arizona are the ones followed by the sanctuary cities that provide racist preferences to lawbreakers.

ONE LAW FOR EVERYONE REGARDLESS OF RACE OR NATIONAL ORIGIN! NO SPECIAL FAVORS FOR “SOME” LAWBREAKERS!

“…Let’s make Arizona the shining example of what should not happen with immigration reform….” ???

WITH THE PASSAGE AND IMPLEMENTATION OF SENATE BILL 1070, ARIZONA HAS BECOME A SHINING EXAMPLE FOR FAIR AND LAWFUL IMMIGRATION REFORM!

• sophia

I’m American of Mexican origin 2nd generation at that . My ancestors came here legally and were always mindful of the laws of their new country. We were all taught to do the same and educate ourselves while working hard for our future. Proud to be an American and a native of Arizona. Racists will be found all around the country. But this issue is about coming to America and doing it LEGALLY. Many American born Mexicans feel the same and don’t kid yourself. It’s draining medical / educational and wages and if you think otherwise your fooling yourself. But never fear amnesty will probably pass because, it should have been dealt with years ago and now it’s out of control. Perhaps a little too late now. Arizona just brought it to the national media and perhaps the government will see that something has to be done NOW.

• http://www.jpyork.biz Jay York

everyone is complaining about the bill, but how many have even read it and totally understand it, and just because a person has been here for a long time, does that entitle them a free ride even though they have broken the law of the land?
    Get real people – My neighbors mother is from Japan. When she came to this country, she first learned the language, processed through the system and became a citizen and then got a job and paid taxes. Why can’t the people south of the border do the same thing. Racial profiling my butt. How many blacks and whites do you see sneeking across the border at night??? Besides if you read the law, it states racial profiling illegal! If their country is so great why don’t they stay there?

• Moco

Illegal is not a race, it’s a crime. Duh!

• borderraven

Yes, Sparky, Mexico does have immigration laws, and their laws are far worse than the USA’s.

Here is Mexico’s Law. Imagine how the Pro Criminal Pro Illegal Immigrant groups would feel if we had the VERY SAME laws as the Country that has the clear MAJORITY (85%+) of Illegals breaking OUR Immigration laws.

1. There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools.
    * * * * * * * *
    2. All ballots will be in this nation’s language..
    * * * * * * * *
    3.. All government business will be conducted in our language.
    * * * * * * * *
    4. Non-residents will NOT have the right to vote no matter how
    Long they are here.
    * * * * * * * *
    5. Non-citizens will NEVER be able to hold political office
    * * * * * * * *
    6 Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no food
    Stamps, no health care, or other government assistance programs. Any Burden will be deported.
    * * * * * * * *
    7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount at least Equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.
    * * * * * * * *
    8. If foreigners come here and buy land… Options will be restricted. Certain Parcels including waterfront property are reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.
    * * * * * * * *
    9. Foreigners may have no protests; no demonstrations, no waving of a Foreign flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his Policies. These will lead to deportation.
    * * * * * * * *
    10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be actively hunted and When caught, sent to jail until your deportation can be arranged. All assets Will be taken from you.
    * * * * * * * * *
    Too strict ?
    Their immigration laws are tougher than ours ! Yet they have the nerve to think we owe them anything and that we are supposed to change OUR language to make it easier on THEM !!!!!

• Cal gal

MEXICO’S immigration laws are VERY VERY STRICT…..and ENFORCED………..Much more so, than the U.S.

This is why I find it so amazing — all these complaints from the idiots crying racist, profiling,etc.. Protecting the nation’s borders is the #1 responsibility of any nation….and MEXICO’s Immig. Laws are much, much harsher than ours.

College students, you should look them up so you know what you’re talking about. If our country was half as strong on enforcement as Mexico is (especially on ITS Southern Border)we would have very few problems here in U.S.

You students are hooked on a few emotional ‘buzz words’ that are LIES (READ THE BILL) fed to you in most media & being perpetuated in academia where you students are a ‘captive audience.’ Unfortunately, most of those in academic circles (profs, etc) live in a bubble & know little of what it’s like in the ‘real world.’ They are very protected in their jobs, limited in ideas within their circles of associates/ friends & most are very naive about real life “on the outside.” So students, get out on your own & read & question. Look at all sides of the issue.
    I speak from experience…. my husband & I having put 4 kids thru school & continuously having to challenge some of the crap they were learning at the universites where we were spending a lot of OUR HARD-EARNED MONEY.

• greg manchester

I feel Arizona citizens have rights also since they are here legally and have a right to safety. This problem will continue to bankrupt states until illegals of all nationalities are returned to there home country.

• Henrey Hawk

Illegal immigration on our southern border has reached a point that someone must take control.
    All adults are required to carry ID when out in public.
    There are laws on the books, both state and federal laws that require all of us to prove who we are when dealing with the public.
    There is already a law that requires immigrants to carry a passport or visa when out in public. Many times this law is overlooked. But it is in the books.
    Some people will discriminate against anyone different than themselves. Some of these prejudice people are cops. This is unfortunate. But nothing new.
    Abuses will continue on both sides of this issue.
    But the ILLEGAL immigration problem is out of hand and needs to be addressed.
    Many illegal immigrants are good hard working people who are just doing their best to feed their children.
    A legal way for these basicly honest hard working people to immigrate legaly needs to be found, while keeping the criminals out.
    The employers who hire and abuse the illegals need to share in the responsiblability. They should be penalized for their illegal activitys also.

• Carlos Fandango

As a mexican american totally illegal I think this law sucks bigtime. My wife and children Maria and the 6 boys (seventh on the way :) ) need me to work 4 jobs so I can support them . But I am clever my wife has told the authorities she has no husband as he is in Mexico and she cannot work so is on Maternity benefits as she cant leave our children ages 2,3,4,5,6 and 7> I work and am paid cash as a land farmer and I am able to afford a nice SUV for transporting my growing brood of children. Hopefully the USA wont be able to deport me as I am on no list ,,,I have a fake american driving license and have never been stopped in my nice SUV.VIVA america ,,If Arizona law becomes law in all states I will probably move to germany or france as they have better benefits for fleeing people Adios Amigos

• David Holmes

We, The USA has the most lax laws dealing with illegally entry than most any other country in the world.
    People should do there research before they open there mouths.
    The FEDs have not protected are boarders and in doing so anyone can bring a weapon of mass destrution and set it off in Phoenix.
    We need to know who is entring this country.

• Sandee Enriquez

Yes Borderraven. Let’s give it all back to Mexico. But first, I want today’s value of the price for Hildago. Then we should level the entire territory back to what it was when Mexico was in charge. No buildings, farms, sewers, bridges, roads, hospitals and so forth. It’ll look just like Tijuana. I might add that you all change your surnames to something “other” than European since you hate everything Western…which means, unless you are 100% Indio, you hate yourselves. How do you say pyschotic in Espanol?

• Andrew Salazar

USA citizens are obligated to obey the laws of the Country, State, County and city/village where they live. We are required to show proof of citenzenship to obtain a passport or even to open a bank account after 911. We are required to show a drivers license and proof of auto insurance if asked by an officer during a traffic stop. We do it dutifully without complaining.

There are many people who prefer not to be compliant and often use their own low self esteem to make everything in their lives a race issue. As far as I know most “hispanics” are white, if they want to tag themselves. I prefer to claim that I belong to the human race and never use “hispanic” as an ethnic label. Why? Because I do not need a crutch to know my own identity.

“Mexicans” who are citizens of Mexico should be proud to claim Mexico as their Country and should be equally proud of the their ethnic and cultural background. But they have no right to claim it as if it were part of the USA. Neither do they have a right to violate the soveriegn borders of the USA.

I suspect that those who claim about being picked on by “Americans” either officers of the law or plain citizens are not telling the whole story. I have traveled all over the world, including most of the USA, and have yet to be picked on by anybody because of my brown skin. However, I know for fact that other countries and cultures expect me to respect their laws and ways of life. To some extent it may be that the “Ugly American” of the past may now be being practiced by the “Ugly Mexican” failing to respect the Constitution of the United States.

Bottom line: No country in the world is more tolerant than the USA; but there is a limit to which its citizens will stand being abused.

• http://twitter.com/CAJeffO CaJeffO

New Immigration Laws: Read to the bottom or you will miss the message…

2. All ballots will be in this nation’s language.

4. Non-residents will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long they are here.

6 Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no food stamps, no health care, or other government assistance programs. Any burden will be deported.

7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount at least equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.

8. If foreigners come here and buy land… options will be restricted. Certain parcels including waterfront property are reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.

9. Foreigners may have no protests; no demonstrations, no waving of a foreign flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his policies. These will lead to deportation.

10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be actively hunted &, when caught, sent to jail until your deportation can be arranged. All assets will be taken from you.

Too strict?…… The above laws are current immigration laws of MEXICO !!!

These sound fine to me, NOW, how can we get these laws to be America ‘s immigration laws??

WAKE UP, AMERICA – we are losing our country………

• http://twitter.com/CAJeffO CaJeffO

Let the facts be known:
    1) Mexico has not tapped into their mineral and oil resources and because of this the government inpoverished the mexican people.
    2) All mexican presidents studied at U.S. Universities which preach the theories of eugenics.

This is more than illegal immigration. It’s an invasion & they mean to out vote us and change all fundamentals.

It would be far cheaper to fund the mexicans so they can overthrow their drug lord “government”.

Look up: (((DELETE THE SPACES)))
    w w w .illegalimmigration. com
    w w w .constitutionalvoices. org/bloggers/freedomblogger2/?p=1089

• jingles

The Arizona law as originally enacted would have allowed law enforcement officers to approach anyone that they felt was “reasonably suspicious” of being an illegal immigrant. This would have led to racial profiling because I doubt very much that police would approach a white male standing on the corner and ask him for his papers to identify him as a citizen of the country. People approached would have to provide identification such as an Arizona driver’s license to prove citizenship. The State of Arizona came under so much “outrage” that they changed the law to say that there would be no racial profiling allowed and that the law enforcement officers would have to have a tentative primary violation of the law before they could ask for documentation. This could be as simple as turning a corner without signaling. This makes the law more palliative. Immigration is under federal jurisdiction not state even though the federal government is not enforcing the law. The State of Arizona made its point with the federal government.

• Sparky McClaren

Doe’s mexico have immigration laws and why?

• Americanwoman

ilene…Long may we preserve, honor & live by the U.S. Constitution! Today’s government leadership does not bode well for this document.
    News flash: We are asked to ‘show our papers’ in one way or another every day! If a cop pulls you over, he will INSIST on seeing your driver’s license & registration. You won’t be permitted to explain a lack of this documentation and then be waved along your way by Officer Smiley! Often, we are asked for our id just to use a credit card for a retail purchase. Try visiting another country without your passport on your person AT ALL TIMES. The prospect of legal Hispanic folks being tapped for valid identification is slim, but if the situation arises, it will be because it is an emergency of some kind, and they should gladly cooperate. Wouldn’t you? Whatever the percentage is of those who favor AZ’s SB-1070, it is primarily due to life-long INDOCTRINATION by extremely liberal educators that have caused some on this thread to mouth the (Nazi) foolishness you express in your comment. Most of us started our adult lives with an accent on liberalism. I did, as did many of my friends and colleagues. Then, as I matured, for quite some time, I clung to the Republican mantra. Now (particularly after 9/11), I am confident, informed and quite comfortable with my Independent status. I hope the same for you…just think about it. Do you think for yourself, or are your opinions based on what has been pounded into your head by often very biased mentors and others?

• Tom

As an Az property owner I can tell you that “Illegal Immigration” is doing profound damage to the state economy. I applaude the effort of our state elected officisld in addressing what the feds have failed to address.

• Americanwoman

Tim: According to the 2005-2007 American Community Survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau, White Americans made up 59.6% of Arizona’s population. Hispanics and Latinos (of any race) made up 29.0% of Arizona’s population.

In 2010 ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS constituted an estimated 7.9% of the population. This was the second highest percentage of any state in the nation.

• Americanwoman

Thanks, Borderraven…Yours is a refreshing and spot-on commentary. I haven’t heard this particular (and factual) oversight of the issue expressed so succinctly.
    First, I will introduce myself as a senior citizen woman, 66 years old, still active and more responsive to U.S. policy than ever before in my life. CA is my home state. I am a registered American Independent voter.
    Not to disrespect our Bullhead City friend and his personal views, but I have already changed my vacation plan location from Yosemite/Bass Lake, CA to Grand Canyon/Flagstaff & Sedona this early summer! Also, I have old buddies in Prescott, so I will stop there. It’s been awhile since I hiked the Canyon, and this is the perfect opportunity to support AZ’s economy and express my disdain for those who just do not “get it” when it comes to the on-going invasion of the sovereign U.S. (particularly at our southern border).
    We could be cutting through a lot of the boo-hooing and hand-wringing for the poor illegal aliens who ceaselessly traipse across the land on both sides of the intermittent “line in the sand” dividing us from Mexico. I strongly suggest that students and other supporters of lawlessness at our border(s)
    pack up some gear and head south for at least a one week outing…preferably in TX, AZ or CA. New Mexico does not lend itself to the same, up-close-and-personal experience as the other three border states. Check-in with border patrol as soon as you see one, as they will want to give you advice and warnings which you must heed to the letter. You are allowed to be there. A visit to the scene of the crime is about as educational as any other means of discovering the myriad reasons for wanting our borders secured and the flow of millions of unknown, unvetted foreigners halted. One of the first outrages you will experience is the unimaginable ecological damage caused by illegal immigrant movement throughout the mountain/desert lands. Be sure not to trespass on private ranch land. Also, you may see disgusting leftovers of the invasion in the forms of “rape trees”
    and “clothes lines” strewn amongst the endless trash and other human waste. If you can locate civilian border observers, sometimes known as Minutemen and women, they will be happy to inform you further of the relentlessness of the attack.
    Unfortunately, our education system is a left-leaning affair that often leaves students ill-informed…even brainwashed. Call it indoctrination. Students need a more balanced curriculum than they currently encounter at the college level, and heck…even in elementary & high school. It takes a strong, reasonable youth to navigate through the process, that’s for sure. Those who will most vehemently disagree with me are, in my opinion, the weakest among our country’s youth.
    As to the legislation in question, AZ’s SB-1070, I can’t figure out why some are so animated over this new law. If you didn’t know that it was signed recently, life (and law enforcement) would pretty much go on as usual in AZ. Primarily, this wise Governor Brewer needed a way to draw the attention of the feds to the frightening level of violence and unlawful foreign invasion of the state of AZ. Read the bill, then get a grip, folks.
    I’m just saying…

• Litl Bits

I have to question how many of you have even READ the bill! If you are stopped for traffic violation, e.g., what is the first thing the cop says to you? License, registration, insurance! If you are arrested or stopped for questioning regarding ANY felony, misdemeanor, etc. – you are REQUIRED to show them ID!

All this law says is that they have the right to report to ICE all those who have no LEGAL ID – or right to be here…THAT, for the enlightenment of those who don’t know the constitution – is NOT illegal, racist, or any of the other tags you are giving it! THIS LAW MERELY MIRRORS FEDERAL LAWS ALREADY ON THE BOOKS!

go read the damned bill before you spout off! don’t you think it’s time to protect the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS OF LEGITIMATE CITIZENS? – who seem these days to be the only ones WITHOUT rights!

• http://www.numbersusa.com Naturalized

Citizens and legal residents have a legitimate expectation of protection by the federal, state and local government. You want to become an American and contribute to an amazing country? Come here legally. Don’t groan that it’s too expensive, too difficult, takes too long because those who have come here legally know this. If you love this country, why should it be any other way?

You want the U.S. to open its arms to everyone? Try that, then picture this nation in 25-50 years….crumbling infrastructure due to less taxes collected from third-world educated workers; where will all these new millions of low-educated people work? influx of criminals looking for new victims; former farmland now full of cheap, quick housing. Where will our food and water and energy resources come from? Right….just more dependence on other countries. The America of the last 200 years will no longer be……

And if you want to EDUCATE illegals in colleges, aka the Dream Act, you can bet that U.S. citizen and legal resident students are gonna suffer.

Arizona made the right decision. Governor Brewer obviously took her OATH of office seriously.

• borderraven

America is on conquered lands won in battles to the death, and those persons born on the conquered land to the citizens of the conquered lands, are the citizens. We are not “immigrants”! We own this land! The children born on this conquered land to non-citizens are the nationalities of their parents! Take your illegal alien butts, children too, sell your property, pack your bags and get off our land! Read Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (1848) , ARTICLES V, IX and XVI.

• borderraven

According to the United Nations General Assembly resolution 40/144 of 13 December 1985 Declaration on the Human Rights of Individuals Who are not Nationals of the Country in which They Live, 1) Aliens have no human right to be here illegally. 2) Aliens have a human right to get the heck out before they get arrested, because then they cannot be a citizen.

• borderraven

First Arizona SB1070 was tweaked by an amendment, to narrow the scope of police encounters.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH0szogdmG0

Second Arizona is acting responsibly under the US Constitution Article 4 Section 4 by securing the union. Every state has constitutional power to enforce border security and check immigration status of every person present in the state. Hey, be glad they skipped Article 1 Section 10, and haven’t yet declared war on Mexico, because then the president would have to follow 50USC21 and order all Mexican citizens, age 14 and older, to go back to Mexico.

Read Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (1848) , ARTICLES V, IX and XVI.
    Read 32CFR215.4, 32CFR501, 50USC21.
    See http://www.scribddotcom/doc/30630429/Who-is-Responsible-for-Securing-the-State-Border-and-Arresting-12-Million-Illegals
    See http://www.cisdotorg/Announcement/AZ-Immigration-SB1070

• US Citizen

I am a legal US citizen (born and raised here), and if I lived in AZ I would have no problem being asked to show my papers. I seriously doubt that the AZ cops are just going to stop random people on the street and ask them for their identification. The government is good at finding illegals. These people are here illegally. You don’t see me going to mexico and trying to burden their government by collecting social services from them, so why should I have to tolerate them diong it. These people broke the law, plain and simple. If Obama isn’t going to do anything about it (which he wont, because ACORN probably found a way to register illegals and get them to vote for him) then I’m glad states are taking matters into their own hands. If you are here illegally, get out.

• Proud Latino

Why are so many red-blooded americans so angry about mexicans taking the low paying jobs ??? you are so busy hating mexicans that you don’t mind the big store… Indians and Pakistanis are taking the high dollar jobs, i.e. computer engineers, doctors, etc LEGALLY!!! through H1B visas.

• Proud Latino

It’s time to boycott Arizona. Let’s start with the highest contributors to Repulicans. The hispanic market is the fastest grwong sector, let them suffer the consequences

• Tim

The support of Arizona’s citizens (85% white according to 1998 demographic surveys) for this bill does not surprise me in the least. Some of the most racist and anti-social people that I’ve ever know where a white family that had moved from Arizona to my neighborhood in rural Riverside county in Southern California. The father and grandfather of this family were managers of a local ranch, and they generally treated their mostly Mexican and Central American immigrant workforce as if they were subhuman. And one of their male relatives who was visiting them from Arizona even bragged to my dad that he sometimes takes pot shots at “Mexicans” back in Arizona. Of course, he may just have been bragging but, in any case, it really was a wake up call in regards to how white supremacist attitudes still flourish in certain regions of the U.S.

Anyways, I hope the bill is struck down as unconstitutional, which it is.

• student

HEY HOW COME YOU DON’T HAVE THE SAME OPPORTUNITIES ME AND MY ANCESTORS HAD? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHY ARE YOU NOT LIKE ME?
    DERPDERPDERPDERP

• kyle

liberals go home…get citizenship and you wouldn’t have to worry about it.

• Devil’s Advocate General

GUYS I THINK WE ARE NOT SHOUTING ENOUGH.

• Lee

stopdainsanity2: Wow! My grandfather who came from Finland would have had your same story. Yet…instead of whining, he worked hard. Get over it…most have some sort of tough time in life. Illegal is the key word…allowing sanctuary cities and this ILLEGAL activity has brought California & Arizona down and soon this great country. WHY is the USA always criticized? Many of these illegals are fleeing the corruption from their native countries. Critics should look to those countries and work on getting here legally OR work on your own countries. The corruption has arrived here in the form of crooked politicians who really do not care about the people….THEY SIMPLY WANT more to rely on government and control people. They want the votes too. WAKE UP!!!! WE NEED TO STICK TO THE LAWS THAT WERE IN PLACE WHEN MANY OF MY RELATIVES CAME HERE 100 YEARS AGO. May America Bless God!

• stopdainsanity2

Children are Watching

by stopdainsanity2

When I entered kindergarten – I was put into a class for the mentally retarded. Because my skin was brown my teacher assumed I did not speak English and required special bilingual support which was not available at the time. Yes – I was a Mexican-American citizen child.

It literally took 2 weeks for my parents to force the school to place me in the mainstream kindergarten class — even though I could respond to questions in English. At the time if was easier for frustrated- overworked teachers (not bad people), who felt school district should have a place for spanish speaking children to learn (reasonable), to send me to the special needs class – no questions asked – based on my skin color. Although the error was corrected, as a child I never lost the feeling I was not welcomed and somehow my rights as a citizen were not equal to those of white americans. Be careful – children are watching.

• Paul L.

Seventy-percent of Arizonans favor this law because it’s already in effect throughout much of the state. Here in Mohave County (I live in Lake Havasu City), local police agencies in Bullhead City, Lake Havasu City and Kingman have already received federally-funded training in order to work with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials — it has nothing to do with profiling. It has everything to do with police officers being able to DO THEIR JOBS. Part of that training is a simple background check through ICE… Why would anyone want to hide their citizenship status or keep police from finding that information?

Let me spell it out the key word in “illegal alien” for you:

il·le·gal  –adjective
    1. forbidden by law or statute.

Maricopa and Pima counties — where Phoenix and Tucson are located — are where the demonstrations are taking place because these two communities are commonly known as “Santuary Cities” in the Latino community. A Sanctuary City is one that harbors or enables illegals to succeed in a community that otherwise frowns on those people being in the U.S. illegally (does Anaheim or Garden Grove ring a bell here folks?).

What the national media is not telling you is that the deputies working for Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio uncover about 2 -3 “drop houses” a week in Phoenix and other parts of Maricopa County. I see the “drop house” busts on the news here constantly — where some 40 to 60 people are found living in a four bedroom home, usually waiting for their stolen or phoney IDs before they “blend” into a normal life. Why not go through legal channels to get here? That’s what my grandparents did when they emigrated from Quebec in the 1920’s.

Wake up people! Arizona’s District 3 State Senator tells me that at least FIVE more states (and four of them are NOT border states) have requested copies of SB 1070 so they can enact similar legislation. Why? Because illgal immigration is a burden. An estimated 460,000 illegals live in Arizona, driving UP the cost of healthcare and my state taxes, and driving DOWN the performance of our students on standardized tests. The census bureau also estimates less than 1% of the 460,000 Latinos here illegally are sending in their forms, making Arizona highly under-funded for many federal programs. Other issues include growing and transporting illegal drugs and human smuggling.

Lastly, this is an ARIZONA ISSUE. Until your state gets the cajones to keep out illegals — which is obviously what we elected our legislators to do here in the Grand Canyon State — STAY OUT OF OUR BUSINESS.

• student

It’s ok to say that you’re racist. I can respect that , but don’t try to hide it.

• Sam

One more note…most Wash U students from all 50 states, so voices are well representative of a many different experiences nationally and internationally. It’s probably best to be fully informed of all the information before trying to make a clear argument one way or another on any subject.

• Sam

So, can we get a clear definition on what “reasonable” means? This leads me to believe that people who fit a specific description of appearing to be of Mexican decent (or any other foreign group for that matter) will be asked this question regardless of place birthplace. This should also include anyone who could be Canadian right? How about German or Irish or African or Italian etc?

I know, the easy quip is “yes” if you are in the northern part of the US for Canadians right? Can we also agree that if someone is pulled over and fits the profile of a “drug dealer,” “SERIAL KILLER,” or “child pornographer” we should be asking for some proof that they may fall into one of those categories as well right?

We probably won’t consider those descriptions at all because they don’t pose a safety concern to anyone on a national level (although I don’t fully agree with this statement).

The only way I can see this not being a racial issue is if everyone is asked to show proof of their immigration status. Make it a standard for all, and don’t complain the same way some people do when being asked to go through extra screenings at the airport. Just ask Timothy McVeigh or Andrew Joseph Stack III (too late)…maybe David Jackson or Daniel Patrick Boyd. They all make a great case for equal treatment under this or any similar law.

• ilene

Scott D- nobody is arguing that laws must be enforced. But this is not the way to do it! Did you even READ the editorial? Better yet have you ever watched a movie about the Nazis? Remember the ONE line that is in virtually each and every one — “SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS!” I am unimpressed that 70% of Arizonans favor this law … all it says is the 70% of Arizonans are ignorant of the US COnstitution. This isn’t a question of what the people “want.”It is a question of what is constitutional.

• Lee

BHO is just staging more political theatre to win votes. Rahm Emanuel “Do not let a crisis go to waste.” These two are some of many progressives ruining this great country. If it is all so terrible…why do people come to live here? We have laws….and we had freedom…watch out because this current administration is doing more than any other to tax us and regulate us. The Governor of Arizona has the courage to try to stop the gang violence/law breakers for the protection of voting/tax paying citizens of her state. This is government’s responsibility. Have any of you inciters read the bill? You should and will see that it calls for common sense and protection of American citizens. I am sick and tired of the morons out there that bend to the minority who do not want to respect our laws and call the race card and disadvantaged card. I know many Latinos that are truly disgusted with the illegals stance!!!!! This is the truth.

• g.Hita

and yet the real cause for this measures is the Americans’ appetite for chemicals allowing them to evade reality (3 meals a day, relative peace, plenty of jobs, low crime…)
    Arizona is desperate! Invaded not only by economic refuges but also criminals. Two wrongs do not make one right.

• Lee

INCITE OUTRAGE!?

• Lee

Dear author, We have a great country and liberal progressive thinking like yours is ruining it. We have to carry driver’s license. The law needs to be upheld. Take a good look at who is doing the crimes there. Maybe Arizona’s courage in calling attention to the crime and violence in their state will get the feds to control these problems like they are supposed to do. I love how they protest there now with violence. Will the media call these citizens out on that? The tea party people protested peacefully and respectfully. You too use ambiguous words….”enraged public”, “spark campus”, “backward law.” If we want a safe country…something needs to be done.

• ScottD

No, you are wrong. It is the trespassing on US laws that should ,and is, inciting outrage. I am actually from Arizona, not a misinformed student from the midwest who has never been to this state and is ignorant on the issues of a Mexican border state. In case you doubt the support, see the polls that 70% of Arizonans are in favor of Arizona’s new law and polls show that 70-83% of All Americans believe in increased enforcement. ALL countries have immigration laws. Try opening your eyes.

• Riverfrontman

I live in Bullhead City AZ. I first hand know how racist the Mohave County authorities are. I am Filipino, but have been mistaken for being Hispanic many times. When we moved here about 30 years ago, my parents bought a house on the river, that was burnt down by racist, militia type people, remember Timothy McVeigh? I was married to a white woman at that time and also lived in Havasu. Our house was fire bombed three times, and when I called the cops they harrased me to no end. Cops in AZ are known racists.

We have the most amount of skinheads and Neo Nazis living amongst us. Meanwhile we have these young whites high on Meth and stealing and wreaking havoc consistantly and harrassing anyone who does not look like them. Talk to any minority, besides Hipanics in AZ, and they will all agree 99 times out of a hundred, that they have all experienced racism while living in AZ. Back in the 80’s and 90’s in Havasu Hispanics were being rounded up, and arrested and were later found dead.

I also have African American friends that have been harrassed while driving through Havasu. Go to Havasu, and you will see there are no African American people living there. We had a Hispanic police officer here in Bullhead that recently won a case against his own department. He fought for his rights and his department was found guilty of preferential treatment. Again the good ole boys at work, trying to bring the brown man down.

I have friends that are Chinese, that have also been harrassed by local authorities as well. All us minorities or people of color whether brown, yellow, red, and Black will support our Hipanic brothers and sisters, and expose AZ for what it really is. A Nazi State!!!!!!!!!!

Let the Lawsuits begin, and we will bankrupt AZ once and for all. You people in AZ wanted an all white state, then you will live amongst the Skinheads, Neo Nazis, Aryans, and the GOP, as there is a movement for these groups to move to AZ. AZ is a disgrace to the world. We will make sure that we spend our hard money elsewhere.

I could go on and on. Believe me, living in AZ is and was very scary. I did not trust the cops. I come from a very affluent family, and we own lots of properties. Not once have the cops every helped us, when they were broken into and vandalized. The hate crime bill does not work here in Mohave County. Too many Rednecks, White Trash and the most amount of ignorant and angry hateful racists you will ever find. I lived in fear for decades while our houses burned and people would try to run me over, as I cound not even walk around the block, for fear of my life.

I have lived all over the US and I know for a fact that AZ is the most racist state of all. I have never owned a gun, until I moved to AZ, because I needed to protect my family, as the police here are very one sided. If you are not white, then you are not right. I am glad that AZ and most of it’s people have now been exposed for what it really is. I will not let the deaths of those innocent Hispanic brothers be in vein.

Even at that time, when we purchased these properties, the only way they would let us buy them was we had to use my grandfather, to buy them, as he was of Irish decent. They would not even talk to us, and told us to go back to where we belong. In other cases we had to pay all cash, and they still gave us a hard time. I have had lifetime of horror stories, of living in AZ.

We were one of the first pioneers who opened up doors for others to be able to live in the State. If this is really the land of the free, then no one can tell you where you should live. If this law is not stopped, God Help AZ, because it will sure go to Hell!!!!!!!!!

From the majority of the white people I have encountered here in AZ, I have heard them to personally threaten our president Obama, by claiming they wanted to kill him. I once lived next to a guy who belonged in a Militia, who built 8 foot walls filled with concrete, and had every possible weapon of mass destruction at his avail. That is when I bought my gun, and showed him that I had really good marksmanship, and was not afraid to use it, if necessary.

His kids became friends with my kids, and he was enlighted by how all brown men were not bad. I in fact fed his kids and would offer my assistance if he ever needed it with the cars that he owned, as I was a master mechanic at that time. He still stuck to his racists views however.

Like I said, I have a lifetime of stories of discrimintation and racism while living in AZ. Let’s not forget, Timothy McVeigh and his cohorts resided in this State and county. Kingman AZ, don’t let me even get started there. Just google “Arizona racist racism” and you will see it dates back, way back. This law will allow these racists cops to harrass anyone of color. I have been here all my life, and look hispanic, and if they ask for my papers, I will sue them for millions of dollars. Discrimination baby. These suckers will lose big time.

Please do not go to the Grand Canyon, and boycott AZ. Give them what they deserve, nothing!!!!!!!!

Peace to all!!!!!!!