Life in the slow lane

How’s your semester going so far? Oh, that busy, huh? Well, I guess we can catch up later…

If this is how you’ve been talking to yourself lately, it’s time to reprioritize your time. I say this as a fellow meet-yourself-coming-and-going-er, not someone who’s sitting here with truly free time to write this article. I’ve had semesters filled with 21 credit hours, musicals, work and relationships. Trust me, I know.

I’m in my last semester here, and I’m just now discovering the importance of time to myself. Even if you’re like me and love to be busy beyond belief, it’s great to take a few minutes to do something solely for your own well-being. For me, this means working out in the Athletic Complex. No iPod, no course books—just a nice magazine with articles it’s okay not to remember anything about after I leave.

I’m not exactly sure why it took me so long to realize that me-time was a necessity rather than a luxury. Perhaps for a while, I saw some sort of nobility in being busy. Maybe it made me feel good that I could handle seven classes while also working on musicals and having a job. Maybe I thought that when people weren’t busy, their lives weren’t as fulfilling. Let me tell you right now: That’s a bunch of baloney. Not bologna, baloney.

I was crazy to have put myself through so much stress on purpose. Don’t get me wrong, I loved everything I did, but everyone has to be able to say no at some point. And this semester, I’ve found my voice. No, I won’t take more than 15 credit hours. No, I won’t work every weekend. No, I won’t skip out on doing things with my friends. I’ll make time for schoolwork and work work AND I’ll make time for me.

So far I’ve been pretty successful. I’ve been to the AC every day for the past several weeks, I’ve watched a little TV every now and then and I’m currently getting ready to go see my boyfriend in Arizona.

Whatever it is that makes you feel like yourself is worth doing. Don’t think you have to study 24/7 or commit to everything under the sun. The world will go on whether you learned that last German vocabulary word or not. Just so you know.