Cadenza’s ‘heart beats’ for Childish Gambino

| Senior Cadenza Editor

Social Programming Board finally announced Sunday night that rapper Childish Gambino will headline spring W.I.L.D., and for the first time in several semesters, Cadenza is excited about SPB’s choice. Gambino’s style is a perfect fit for spring W.I.L.D. and will likely appeal to a wide variety of students.

From his 2011 single “Freaks and Geeks” and his 2012 radio staple “Heartbeat” to more recent hits like “3005” and “Crawl,” Gambino has had a number of chart-topping songs that will surely be crowd pleasers. (Also keep your ears open for his 2011 single “Bonfire,” which has become a fraternity party staple.) And despite Gambino’s widespread appeal, he still maintains somewhat of an “up and coming” vibe, making him an appropriate choice for a college show.

Plus, Gambino is much more than just a rapper: he’s also Donald Glover, actor, comedian and comedy writer. Glover is perhaps best known for his role as Troy Barnes on the NBC series “Community,” though he also performs stand-up and used to write for NBC’s “30 Rock.” In fact, current seniors may remember that Glover brought his stand-up to campus for the spring 2011 comedy show. His W.I.L.D. performance will obviously be focused on his music, but Glover’s comedic chops will likely be revealed between songs.

Compared to the other options on the W.I.L.D. survey released in November, Gambino was definitely one of the best choices. (The student body agreed, as he was the overall No. 1 choice on the survey.) Many of the contenders (like Bastille, Capital Cities and Grouplove) fell in the same generic indie-electro-pop genre that seems to have overtaken radio stations in recent years. Though fun and danceable, that style of music is quickly getting old. Other options, like Local Natives and Young the Giant, tended toward more stripped-down indie rock, which is in line with typical spring W.I.L.D. artists but generally not very exciting. At least one contender was completely out of left field—looking at you, Krewella. Many students speculated that Krewella would be the headliner given the similarities between the trio’s logo and W.I.L.D.’s promotional material, but Krewella’s electronic dance music would be much more fitting for fall W.I.L.D. than spring.

In an interesting trend, SPB seems to be shifting toward more rap and hip-hop W.I.L.D. headliners. In fact, a rapper or hip-hip group has headlined every W.I.L.D. since SPB’s 2013 takeover, with Atmosphere performing last spring and Chance the Rapper performing in the fall. Of course, last year was not the first time a hip-hop artist appeared on the lineup—B.o.B and Shwayze performed as openers in 2009 and 2010, respectively, and OutKast famously headlined back in 2000—but spring W.I.L.D. artists in particular tend to fall squarely in the indie realm. However, rap seems like a smart choice for spring W.I.L.D.—it’s more energetic and danceable than most indie rock, but it won’t elicit the kind of rave-y atmosphere that’s more associated with fall W.I.L.D. A performance by Gambino will be an especially fun way to cap off the school year and usher in summer.

A second performer is still in the works, and although SPB would not comment on what genres it is looking at, it confirmed that it would not be another hip-hop artist. If you want to study up for Gambino’s performance, check out his two studio albums, 2011’s “Camp” and 2013’s “Because the Internet.”