Now Hear This!: Daughter

| Movie Editor

Who: Daughter and Bear’s Den
Where: Plush (3224 Locust St.)
When: Sunday Sept. 22, doors at 7 p.m.
Price: $13 in advance, $15 at the door

Tired? Sad? Bummed about the start of fall and all the work you’re going to have this semester? Well, Sunday may not be a great day to see a concert (especially given all that work you have), but if you want to wallow in self-pity, consider doing so with a bunch of other people this weekend at Plush. There will be two bands from dreary old England playing: Bear’s Den opens at 8:15 p.m., and Daughter will follow.

Sadly, the popular South 40 eatery is not opening for Daughter; rather, it’s actually a folk band from London. Bear’s Den comes from the same music scene as Laura Marling and Mumford & Sons, and the three-piece band’s folk-rock is reminiscent of the latter, although with a more stripped-down sound. The trio has only been together for a year but has been touring extensively. The band’s debut EP, “Agape,” was recently released and demonstrates a confident sound, especially on the standout title track.

The group, created in 2010, is comprised of singer/guitarist Elena Tonra, flanked by guitarist Igor Haefeli and drummer Remi Aguilella. The band released two EPs in 2011, as well as an album (“If You Leave”) earlier this year. Daughter homed in on the sound it wanted early. It is thematically close to The xx (in other words, really sad) and sonically restrained but with fewer electronic sounds. Tonra’s voice moves over the guitar like a cold wind through a silent forest. There are times on the album when things come loose, the pace picks up and Tonra lets loose. Still, the show should be fairly low-energy and the perfect way to wind down the weekend and get ready for another week.

• sterling

They were phenomenal in Houston, TX yesterday. Elena of Daughter is a sweetheart and the guys in Bear’s Den are the most likeable “chaps” you’d ever meet. Powerful and heartfelt music from both these. And when I say powerful, I mean dress your feet in layers, cause the first pair of socks will likely get BLOWN. OFF.