Now Hear This!: Neon Indian at the Gargoyle

| Senior Cadenza Editor

Who: Neon Indian and Mister Lies
Where: The Gargoyle in Mallinckrodt Center
When: Friday, 8:30 pm
Price: Free with WashU ID

If you’re looking for an energetic, dance-filled start to your weekend, you won’t even have to leave campus. Social Programming Board has brought two acclaimed electronic artists to the Gargoyle for its first concert of the semester. Opening will be Mister Lies at 8:30 p.m., followed by Neon Indian performing a disc jockey set.

Mister Lies is a youthful electronic producer named Nick Zanca who is currently based out of Chicago. Strongly recommended by Pitchfork, his style of music is a fuse of trip hop and pop that has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on SoundCloud. His song “Cleam” sounded to me like an enjoyable fusion of The Weeknd and Bon Iver, an intriguing combination that is worth multiple listens.

If you’ve been to a major music festival in the past few years, chances are you’ve experienced (or you should have experienced) Neon Indian, a band fronted by producing genius Alan Palomo. His synth pop style has caught on in recent times, with similar acts like M83, Washed Out and Toro y Moi all gaining mainstream notoriety. While Neon Indian is most famous for infectious single “Polish Girl,” its entire album “Era Extrana” was listed on many “Best of” lists in 2011 and is an album during which it is almost impossible to press pause. Palomo will be performing a DJ set on Friday night, but hopefully he doesn’t leave his hits at home.