Chiddy Bang uninspired, Mudd Field move questionable

| Music Editor

We don’t need to be reminded that this semester we did not get to partake in WILD. Yet, with Social Programming Board’s announcement yesterday of the changes to the fall concert, I can’t help but feel that they are attempting to replace the void left by the absence of one of the most-beloved Washington University events.

Chiddy Bang is the fall concert headliner, a single-act hip-hop artist that is pretty typical of shows like WUStock. Not exactly a name-drop, Chiddy Bang is known for breaking the Guinness World Record for Longest Freestyle Rap (9 hours, 18 minutes and 22 seconds) and delaying the release of his first solo album four times now. All in all, Chiddy Bang isn’t great, isn’t horrible and will probably put on a fine enough performance when he takes the stage on Oct. 21.

But the stage itself is the really the interesting part of SPB’s attempt to appease the performance-deprived students.

Chiddy Bang will headline the first-ever concert on Mudd Field. You know, the biggest quad space on campus. No insults to Chiddy, but I’m not sure he has a big enough pull to fill that area. Even if SPB does some creative quartering off of the area, Mudd seems like an odd place to hold a single headliner concert. Past concert locations, like Brookings Quad, the Gargoyle or the Swamp, have the more closed-in feel of a typical venue. Now, Mudd is a space that could potentially be utilized for a large-scale concert series, but considering Chiddy’s lack of name recognition, it may end up just looking like the crowd is dwarfed by the space the event’s being held in.

A few weeks from now, you can head back there to see the artist who still hasn’t released the mixtape he promised in 2013 and simultaneously reminisce about the time when Fox News was stationed in the same place. Enjoy the awkward fall concert / WILD / presidential debate mash-up spectacular. It may not be as exciting as All-American Rejects on Brookings Stage or Smallpools in the Gargoyle, but you can just think of it as this semester’s MILD and maybe it will be alright.

• Chiddy

What a shitpost lol. First sentence comes off as bitter and snappy (just like mine in this comment, see?), instantly thought “this post is gonna suck”. Not to my surprise, you not only announced Chiddy was performing then injected your (overly salty) personal opinion, making the post completely biased, you took hype away from an event many people are looking forward to. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it!

Also, for the record, I’m aware my name is biased on Discord, big Chiddy fan. Regardless, injecting your personal opinion on an artist and mood killing an event in a news post seems a bit silly.

Have a nice day