Getting the band back together: Bands that should reunite in 2014

The past few months have been marked by reunion announcements from a number of high-profile bands. Neutral Milk Hotel embarked on its first tour in nearly 15 years last October. OutKast will perform together this spring for the first time since 2007. We were even teased with a Beatles reunion last weekend when Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr teamed up for a performance at the Grammys. Here, Cadenza shares the top bands we’d like to see reunite in 2014.

Dream Street

Though it is extremely unlikely that it would ever reunite, I’m all about a Dream Street reunion. The boy band was a mainstay of our late elementary-school/early middle-school years, and while I contemplate graduation and becoming a real person, I would love to be brought back to my obnoxious pre-teen fandom. All but one of the members of Dream Street went solo or joined another band after the group broke up in 2002 (due to legal disputes, overprotective parents, money, etc.). The most notable and potentially the hardest person to pin down in order to make a Dream Street reunion a reality would be Jesse McCartney—always the best part of the gang. And really, who wouldn’t want to hear the questionably sexual lyrics to “It Happens Every Time” or “Feel the Rain” from these five now-post-pubescent sets of lips? –Alieza Schvimer

Led Zeppelin

Active from 1968 to 1980, Led Zeppelin was known for its bluesy rock style and legendary guitar riffs while producing hits like “Stairway to Heaven,” “When the Levee Breaks” and “Immigrant Song.” Last reuniting in 2007 for a live show in England, with Jason Bonham on drums replacing his late father, the members powered through 16 songs like they were in their prime. “Celebration Day,” the live album from that concert, won the Grammy for Best Rock Album just a few days ago and proves that another reunion, or hopefully a reunion tour, would be simply incredible. While singer Robert Plant commented that he has nothing to do in 2014, bassist John Paul Jones debunked a potential reunion by saying that he is working on an opera. Though contemporary artists like Jack White and the Black Keys show obvious influences, Led Zeppelin must remind us why it is one of the best rock bands of all time and do so before time runs out. –Tyler Friedman

The White Stripes

Within the past 15 years, Jack White has risen from near-anonymity to one of the most respected names in alternative rock. And even though he now has a successful solo career and multiple other bands under his belt, many still consider White’s prime to have been with the White Stripes. The Grammy-award-winning duo—which consisted of White and his ex-wife, Meg—took the alternative music scene by storm in the early 2000s with its powerful brand of bluesy garage rock. The band’s most iconic single, 2003’s “Seven Nation Army,” introduced listeners to one of the most quintessential bass lines in recent history while other hits like 2002’s “We’re Going to be Friends” and 2007’s “Icky Thump” also helped move the White Stripes into mainstream consciousness. Unfortunately, the band’s last album was released in 2007, and the duo officially announced its breakup in 2011. Since then, Jack White has kept himself busy with a solo career and two other bands, the Raconteurs and the Dead Weather. Meg White, on the other hand, has basically disappeared from the music scene since the breakup. A reunion certainly isn’t out of the question, but it probably won’t be happening anytime soon. –Katharine Jaruzelski

Beulah

Associated with Elephant 6, a music collective perhaps better known for Neutral Milk Hotel, Of Montreal and The Olivia Tremor Control, Beulah was an indie-pop band that formed in 1996 but split up in 2004. Despite receiving critical acclaim for much of its work, the band decided to split up due to a lack of commercial success. Its music beautifully features catchy melodies matched by complex depth and somehow manages to find a balance between sunniness and regret. Although it’s highly unlikely Beulah will reunite for good, all hope is not lost. Miles Kurosky, one of the band’s founders, released a solo album (“The Desert of Shallow Effects”) in 2010 that featured several former Beulah members, and the band briefly united to perform songs from the record. –Tina Xiang

’N Sync

Although Justin Timberlake has clearly achieved tremendous success in his solo career, especially recently with his studio album “The 20/20 Experience,” his talent combined with that of Chris Kirkpatrick, JC Chasez, Lance Bass and Joey Fatone produced one of the ultimate boy bands that so characterizes the ’90s. I would love an ’N Sync reunion because there is nothing quite like the mesmerizing and almost enchanting experience of a group of men harmonizing with synchronous (if awkward) hand and arm gestures. Even though the group went on hiatus in 2002, there have been several events for which it has reunited, including the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards. Therefore, a reunion although still highly unlikely, is not totally out of the question. When our generation looks back on the ’90s with nostalgia, it is clear that we don’t “wanna see [‘N Sync] out that door, baby, bye, bye, bye.” –Erica Sloan

Fugazi

LCD Soundsystem will forever hover near the top of my list until I rectify the mistake of missing it three (!) times on its farewell tour, but it’s been a little less than three years since it played its “final” show, so I’ll cut it some slack for the time being. And sure, I’d love to see The Smiths or Talking Heads return after multi-decade absences, but neither would bring the searing intensity of a Fugazi reunion tour. The hardcore legends have spent the past 10 years doing whatever straight-edge punks do when they approach middle age (protest PTA meetings?), but something tells me they haven’t lost their bite during their hiatus. In 2011, bassist Joe Lally told The A.V. Club of his desire to best the band’s last album, “The Argument,” yet stopped short of setting a definite timetable. But after a year that saw the returns of some of rock’s most infamously elusive bands (My Bloody Valentine and Neutral Milk Hotel chief among them), a Fugazi comeback seems inevitable. Until then, you can find me in the waiting room. –Mark Matousek

The Spice Girls

“Make it last forever—friendship never ends.” The girly-pop quintuplet The Spice Girls proved their iconic lyrics wrong in 2000 when the members decided to go their separate ways amidst rumors of infighting. While they insisted that they weren’t actually splitting up, it definitely seemed like Posh, Sporty, Scary, Ginger and Baby were on shaky ground for a while. Now that certain members of the group have established themselves as international celebrities (looking at you, Victoria Beckham) and others as outspoken “America’s Got Talent” judges (Melanie Brown), the group dynamic would be more dramatic and crazier than ever. After all, the world needs more of the crazy shenanigans they got into in their cult-classic film, “Spice World.” After their half-hearted “reunion” at the 2012 London Olympics, a serious attempt at reconciliation is what fans “really, really want.”