Cadenza’s spring workout playlist

At long last, after a seemingly endless winter, spring is finally here. Students are gallivanting around in tank tops and shorts, going to the zoo and tossing around discs in Forest Park. But as you put your North Face away until next year’s first snow and pull out your swimsuit, you’re probably worried about getting that bikini body. Cadenza’s got the perfect playlist for your next trip to the gym.

“Get Me Bodied,” Beyonce

I know. I know. Of course I chose a Beyonce song. But this is a legitimately good workout song, especially if you want to dance. It comes with instructions. So pat your weave, do the Naomi Campbell walk and work on getting a Beyonce body. You’ll never have her perfect balance of muscle and curves, but you can try. Alternatively, you can watch the workout version that Beyonce made for First Lady Michelle Obama’s Move Your Body campaign. It features little kids dancing, so you’ll be hard-pressed not to work out after through sheer guilt. – Georgie Morvis

“Changed the Way You Kiss Me (Mike Candys Remix),” Example

Remixes are usually a good bet for an energizing workout, and this song is no exception. This remix of the already-dance-worthy original edits out some slower dubstep influences in the choruses and replaces them with pure adrenaline-fueling electronic dance music that is guaranteed to keep you energized. The rap in this version hits harder, and the addition of handclaps in the verses and more bass drum in the chorus will ensure your heart rate stays up. Use the buildup to the drop as a quick warm-up, and then start sprinting until the end—you’ll definitely be feeling the burn afterward. – Kayla Hollenbaugh

“The New Workout Plan,” Kanye West

With a fast beat and fun bass, “The New Workout Plan” will motivate you and keep you moving through your workout. It even comes with directions for a workout and diet plan. Realistically, West has the ladies’ best interests in mind because we all want to find a “rapper, a NBA player—man, at least a dude with a car” or maybe just to have the body for it this summer. There are a million different cuts and remixes of the song, so you can easily find the right beat for you, with or without a part by Lil Jon. The end of the song even features a double-time section that’s perfect for that final push and finishing strong. – Caroline Gutbezahl

“California Gurls,” Katy Perry ft. Snoop Dogg

Even if you’re not from the Golden Coast, there’s nothing wrong with blasting this Katy Perry classic while you’re spinning at the South 40 Fitness Center. After a long, bundled-up winter in St. Louis, “California Gurls” serves as a reminder that you will probably be donning Daisy Dukes and a bikini at some point in the next couple months, which means you’ll need a beach-ready body to match. And if that isn’t motivating enough, consider this: as long as you stick to your workout regimen, you, too, will be catching Snoop Dogg’s eye this summer with your “toned, tan, fit and ready” beach body. – Katharine Jaruzelski

“6 Foot 7 Foot (freestyle),” Kendrick Lamar ft. Schoolboy Q

Last year, Kendrick Lamar staked his claim as the next big thing in hip-hop with the transcendent “good kid, m.A.A.d city.” As brash and quotable as it was poignant, “good kid” expertly skirted the line between party and headphones record. Along with his 2011 debut LP “Section.80,” “good kid” made a convincing case for Lamar as the best hip-hop has to offer. Six months before the release of “Section.80,” Lamar unleashed an absolutely vicious freestyle over Lil Wayne’s “6 Foot 7 Foot.” While the song marked the end of Lil Wayne’s relevance, it served as a prophecy of future greatness for Lamar. Buoyed by a resounding bass interspersed with crisp snares, Lamar lays waste to the beat in double time, showing off an effortless flow matched by few, if any, of his peers. If his verbal dexterity doesn’t get your heart racing, you don’t have a pulse. – Mark Matousek

“Punching in a Dream,” The Naked and Famous

You can’t go wrong with most of The Naked and Famous’ 2010 release “Passive Me, Aggressive You,” but “Punching in a Dream” has the best combination of heart-racing synths, a steady beat and vocals that won’t distract you from focusing on that next repetition. It’s impossible not to dance to this song, and the main riff will be stuck in your head for the rest of the day—if lead singer Alisa Xayalith’s impassioned chorus doesn’t excite you, then I’m not sure what will. As another plus, its rapid pace doesn’t let up throughout the entirety of the song, so it will be the perfect motivation to keep pushing you through a particularly hard mile. – Kayla Hollenbaugh

“I Believe I can Fly,” R. Kelly

Now I know what you’re thinking—this song is too slow to work out to. But when you’ve reached the lowest point of your workout, only the most inspirational words ever sung will get you through it, and these are those words. Don’t underestimate the power of working out to a gospel choir. “I Believe I can Fly” is the perfect song to end a workout with, and that last key change will have you flying. And of course, the song features prominently in one of the greatest sports movies of all time, “Space Jam,” so you can pretend you’re working out with Michael Jordan, Bugs Bunny and the gang. – Trevor Leuzinger

“Hot Like Wow,” Nadia Oh

I’m not going to lie to you guys: I don’t work out much. When I do, I end up spending more time picking the right song, wiping my brow from imaginary sweat and looking around to see if anyone is watching me work out. With that said, “Hot Like Wow” always manages to pump this sister up. I mean, “When I see you boy, you make my heartbeat jump. I can’t stop looking at you. Hot like wow.” This song basically shouts, “Your body is hot.” I’m serious—she tells him his body is “hot like wow.” Whoever she is staring at obviously worked out. Case in point: if you listen to Nadia Oh while working out, someone will stare at you and think, “Hot like wow.” And that’s all we want in the end, isn’t it? – Elena Wandzilak