Spring W.I.L.D. wish list

A Spring W.I.L.D. wish list from the ever-optimistic Cadenza Staff.

AlunaGeorge

This London-based duo of vocalist Aluna Francis and producer George Reid may not have its debut album out yet, but we would be lucky to get one of the buzziest British bands to our spring concert. Like a more commercial version of The Weeknd, AlunaGeorge features angelic vocals and flawless production. Their songs are sensual and classy and would elevate what is normally a slop-fest devoid of any real respect for music. They currently have no gigs scheduled between February and June, which leaves plenty of room for a U.S. tour to build buzz for the album—and perhaps grace W.I.L.D. with the duo’s impeccable presence. –Georgie Morvis

The Dirty Projectors

The band may have fallen foul of WUStock’s popular voting system and Macklemore-mania, but that doesn’t mean we can’t bring The Dirty Projectors to campus at all this semester. The band is up-and-coming in the same way that Fitz & the Tantrums were last year, and their brand of indie rock fused with electronic flourishes is better suited for the W.I.L.D. stage and crowd. Darlings of the festival circuit, the group’s live shows are consistently praised, but it may be a little too experimental for a mass of rowdy college students. Currently finishing out a world tour in the farthest reaches of Asia and Australia this month, there’s no reason The Dirty Projectors can’t return to St. Louis this April. –Kayla Hollenbaugh

Haim

It’s been a while since the United States has seen a talented girl group known more for its vocals than its bodies. Now, a Destiny’s Child reunion is unlikely for spring W.I.L.D., but the trio of sisters Haim, from Los Angeles, could fill the girl group void. It integrates R&B and rock into its indie pop song, and the group’s biggest hit, “Forever,” is one of the most delightful songs of the past year. It recently won the BBC’s Sound of 2013, an award voted on by critics and industry figures given to a promising band. It has previously gone to 50 Cent, Adele and Jessie J. Put simply, it’s almost a matter of time before Haim is one of the most well-known figures of music. Book Haim now before it’s too big for our school. –Georgie Morvis

The Hold Steady

A show from The Hold Steady is a near-religious experience, a testament to the virtues of rock and roll full of power chords, rousing sing-a-longs and the fiendishly clever musings of lead singer Craig Finn. Though many of the band’s members are pushing 40, they pack more life-affirming energy into one 90-minute show than bands half their age can manage over an entire tour. These guys play every show like it’s their last, showing a genuine appreciation for their audience that’s all too rare in an era of ironic detachment. Though a veteran of the indie scene, The Hold Steady has never received much mainstream attention, which should keep the booking fees within Social Programming Board’s range. The band doesn’t have any shows planned for this year so far, but considering it’s toured every year since forming in 2004, it’s all but guaranteed to be on the road within the next couple of months. Additionally, it hasn’t played St. Louis since August 2011, meaning we’re more than due for a return. An appearance at W.I.L.D. would be the perfect antidote for those clamoring for an end to hip-hop and electronic dance music’s reign on college campuses. –Mark Matousek

Of Monsters and Men

Courtesy of Kenny Sun

If you are like me, you are the friend in the group who always seems a few months behind when it comes to fun, indie bands. I get it, cool hipster people of the world: you discover bands on YouTube or at other fun concerts. I, on the other hand, usually catch up when a song hits the radio. When I began hearing “Little Talks,” I found myself bopping, clapping and singing along. Of Monsters and Men, the Icelandic indie pop rock band formed in 2010 that won a “battle-of-the-bands” competition, has quickly taken the charts in Europe and America. The band’s music is fun and catchy and makes you feel like you are part of the conversation between the two vocalists. Of Monsters and Men is touring the U.S. this winter, so I highly suggest that it hits up spring W.I.L.D. this year. Until then, check out “Little Talks,” “Mountain Sound,” and “King and Lionheart.” –Elena Wandzilak

Robyn

Just because spring W.I.L.D. is known for being a little bit more low-key and indie doesn’t mean it can’t be pure, euphoric fun. The Swedish dance-pop songstress, known for her whimsical melodies and stage antics, has produced relatively well-known hits such as “Call Your Girlfriend” and “Dancing on My Own” and is a master of songs that don’t need to be known to be enjoyed (Looking at you, Fitz & the Tantrums.) She’s relatively big across the pond but not too famous over here to be above a W.I.L.D. appearance. She has no upcoming live shows scheduled right now, so while Robyn is not completely off the cards, unless she announces a U.S. tour in the next couple of weeks, it may be unlikely that we’ll be seeing her writhe across Beaumont Pavilion this spring. –Kayla Hollenbaugh

The Wombats

Courtesy of Sebastiaan Ter Burg

With its unique brand of earnest indie pop (and charming British accents to boot), the Wombats would make an excellent headliner for this year’s spring W.I.L.D. Although this British trio has been popular in the U.K. and Australia for several years, it didn’t see much success stateside until its single “Jump Into The Fog” hit American airwaves last summer. Since then, the band has appeared at multiple festivals in both the U.K. and U.S. and even passed through St. Louis during a six-week-long North American tour. Admittedly, the chances of these Liverpudlians hopping across the pond this spring are slim to none, but considering the fact that its tour schedule is wide open until June, one can still hold out hope. –Katharine Jaruzelski