In Defense of: Lady Gaga’s Born This Way music videos

Courtesy of Interscope Records
Lady Gaga released her second studio album, “Born This Way,” this past May, but up to this day she has been under fire for her use of uncensored sexuality, extreme messages, religious symbolism and overall obscurity in her music videos. Following the release of the music video for the album’s title track, she was scrutinized for both her “controversial” lyrics and the mysteriously strange music video. But really, after “Telephone” and “Alejandro,” can we expect or even want anything else? If you’ve heard Gaga perform her song “Speechless,” you have no choice but to agree that she is an exceptional singer. What makes a singer an artist, however, is performance, and if anyone knows how to perform, it has to be Lady Gaga.

Unlike most “artists,” who use music videos as promotional devices, Gaga uses music videos to tell a story and share an ultimate message. The “Born This Way” video has a strange beginning, but when one stops to actually absorb the story, Gaga sings on important issues like good and evil, acceptance and unity. So who cares if she births a baby to symbolize the existence of opposites or uses a machine gun to explain the importance of control and balance in life? The video is bare and purely an expression of a desire for acceptance.

Gaga has since released music videos for “Judas,” “The Edge of Glory,” and “Yoü and I.” All of these are extremely unconventional, but still completely distinct. The “Judas” video, for example, inspired a lot of controversy from the religious sector. Singing a song about a religious leader and going even farther by sexualizing the leader is extremely risky, but Gaga only uses religion to identify with the struggle between purity and temptation. Most viewers get too hung up on the religious aspects and thus miss the real message, which actually has very little to do with religion. As for “The Edge of Glory,” it is pure awesomeness.

“Yoü and I” is one of my favorite videos. The music video shows a bare and exposed Gaga, which makes her seem vulnerable and more relatable. This video is one of Gaga’s more blatant, portraying a personal story of love, loss, and acceptance. She opens herself up to the world and that is one of the bravest things anyone can ever do.

Yes, her music videos are unconventional. Yes, her music videos are highly sexualized. And yes, Lady Gaga can be over the top. But isn’t that the point? Whatever happened to creative liberties and not being afraid to express yourself? The point is, Lady Gaga is an artist, and her music videos are her canvases. They are sure to catch the eye and in the end make one think and possibly have a revelation, as good music (and music videos) can often do.

• Anes

i love lady gaga, but i wasn’t really sure what she was trniyg to do when i watched the vma’s. at first, i just assumed that she was trniyg to show her diversity as a performer. then she just started embarrassing herself. the choreography was pretty good, but that was when she was actually doing what you could tell was a planned part of the routine. other than that, it was just really strange. it could’ve been really cool, but she took it too far. i like the concept of the alter ego, but the alter ego gaga chose was just psychotic and a little too crude for my taste. i’m not a prude, and i expect that kind of behavior at mtv events, but not to that extreme.

• Veronica

Really weird, and not in a good way. Yeah it’s cool she’s unique and doesn’t care and all that, but it just came off as her hniavg serious schizophrenia problems. She didn’t even stick to her character nor was really believable, which I would expect for her growing up in theater. I also didn’t like how she kinda had to steal Britney Spears’ moment when it was HER tribute! Why couldn’t she let her talk! And her talking about touching herself, then five minutes later she is thanking God? I love Lady Gaga’s stance on LGBTQ equal rights, but other than that, it’s really just sad how much young people idolize this attention-needing singer.

• Steven The Critic

I Agree. Lady GaGa Is A Performance Artist. She Uses Deep Analogies. The Thing With Her Is That America May Be “Dumbed” Down Too Much To Actually Care To Use Their Brain To Figure It Out. She’s Changed Pop Culture, She’s The Reason Why The VMAs Upped Their Antics And Now People Actually Care About Music Videos. She Should Be Praised For Inspiring So Many New Artists To Make So Many Controversial Music Videos And Outfits (See Katy And Nicki At The VMAs). She Also Doesn’t Sing With Just Any Artists. She Sings With Legends Elton John, And Most Recently Tony Bennet And Cher.
    Her Videos Are Beautiful Pieces Of Art Because People Still Watch Them. She May Very Well Become One Of The Legends One Day.

• Great article goood Job :)