African Film Festival to include short and feature films, director Q&A

| Movies Editor

Student Life Newspaper | Student Life
This coming weekend marks the ninth annual African Film Festival on Washington University’s campus, sponsored by the African and African-American studies and film and media studies departments, the African Students Association and the Brown School African Students Association. From March 28-30, films will be screened in Brown 100 starting at 7 p.m.

The highlight of the weekend is Sunday’s film, “Alaskaland,” which will be introduced by and include a question-and-answer session with the director, Chinonye Chukwu. The movie is about the struggle of a young man caught between his Nigerian heritage and living in Alaska and how this affects his relationship with his family.

There will be showings of both short and feature-length films, including both animation and live-action styles.

Friday begins with the short film “Unspoken,” which is about a secret that comes out right before a wedding. The feature is the animated “Aya of Yop City,” which takes place on the Ivory Coast in the 1970s and follows a host of characters in their daily lives. It was originally a comic strip, and Marguerite Abouet, the creator of the comic, is also the director of the film.

Saturday begins with the short film “Bone Shaker,” which is about an African family in America trying to cure its child. The feature is “Tey,” the story of a man’s last day alive. Set in Senegal, Satche spends his last day preparing for his imminent death.

Saturday, March 29 at 1 p.m. there will also be a special showing for children. This will include the short films “Money Tree” and “Imprint” as well as “Felix.” “Felix” is about a boy in South Africa who wants to learn how to play the saxophone like his late father, despite his mother’s belief that jazz is evil.

All of the films in the festival are in English or have English subtitles.