Pranaya’s Picks: ‘Lord of the Rings’

Pranaya Pahwa | Film Editor

“The Lord of the Rings” is an epic trilogy with three corresponding epic films. Director Peter Jackson finds rare balance in excess and grandeur, making intimate stories in a fantastic new world.

“The Lord of the Rings” films were adapted from the series of fantasy novels by the same name by J.R.R. Tolkien. His novels occur in Middle Earth, a mystical world with humans, elves, wizards, hobbits and an omnium gatherum of magical creatures. Jackson introduces the world and its history in an efficient expositing opening sequence. The opening sequence provides necessary context for the entire trilogy. Without that context, describing the plot is a rather Sisyphean task, but nonetheless, here is my best attempt: The trilogy follows a band of heroes, called the Fellowship of the Ring, in their quest to destroy the “One Ring,” an instrument of absolute and corrupt power, before it is captured by the villain, the Dark Lord of Mordor, Sauron.

Ringstrilogyposter

The theatrical version of the trilogy lasts over nine hours but earns every minute. The rich story compels you to watch more, and the excellent performances and magnificent visuals make it impossible to look away.

Fantasy films necessitate strong acting. Actors must convince the audience to momentarily believe in and invest in a world full of characters completely foreign to their own experience. For “The Lord of the Rings,” Peter Jackson worked with an exceptional cast too lengthy to list. Two performances merit special recognition. Ian McKellen plays Gandalf, the wise wizard and warrior, and Andy Serkis, through performance capture technology, plays Smeagol/Gollum, a weak and pathetic creature with a split personality.

As Gandalf, McKellen delivers every line and makes every assertive gesture with absolute authority. It’s an astute performance by a legendary actor. For his work on the first film, McKellen was nominated for an Oscar.

Although Serkis was not nominated for an Oscar, he should have been. His performance is superb. He faces the difficult task of not only conveying his exaggerated expressions and movements through performance capture, but also of playing two characters trapped in one body: the-desperate-to-please Smeagol and the treacherous Gollum. From moment to moment, Serkis alternates between the two characters making subtle changes to his body language, expression and speech patterns. The performance is a tour de force, instantly memorable and exciting.

Jackson pairs the grand performances with equally grand visuals that seamlessly integrate special effects and real locations. Especially as the trilogy wears on, it is difficult to find a frame without extensive effects. These effects are rarely noticeable but almost always successful. Jackson employs special effects to create sizeable armies and magnificent cities. These special effects render visuals that only Tolkien could imagine to life.

The film’s beauty awakens the universal but frequently latent desire to travel and explore. Shot across New Zealand, the trilogy features more gorgeous locations and landscapes than found in most nature documentaries.

“The Lord of the Rings” trilogy from start to finish is a delightful experience. The performances, effects, costumes and makeup all commit to create a marvelous, gargantuan production. Notably, the film also features a rich and splendid score from Howard Shore whose impressive musical leitmotifs guide the trilogy from start to finish. Indubitably, “The Lord of the Rings” is an epic series, but that does necessitate that it is a great series.

In a lesser director’s hand, “The Lord of the Rings,” like so many epics today, would have been a series of weighty scenes loosely connected by string—powerful visuals with no punch. It is a simple and easy to make an epic film with an immense budget. Epic films require prodigious casts, skilled special effects, lengthy runtimes and an expansive canvas. With great sums of money is not challenging to make an epic film. It is more difficult to make a great film. The only determinant for a great film is quality. An immense budget can influence but never purchase quality.

The true value of “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy is derived from the series’ heart: how Jackson thoroughly focuses the wide scope of the film on miniature stories. Despite its relatively complex narrative, the themes and characters of “The Lord of the Rings” are uncomplicated. The films and novels present a common narrative about the triumph of the engaged few who rally against a corrupt power that feasts on the apathy of the masses. “The Lord of the Rings” is special because it makes this extreme battle between good and evil an intimate affair. Put simply, the film connects.

“The Lord of the Rings” trilogy is a great series because the audience is emotionally invested, because the thousands of subtle decisions that rarely, if ever, register consciously, succeed. The silence before the battle at Helms Deep, the lighting at the end of the two towers, the profound wisdom Gandalf imparts on Frodo that echoes in his mind; all of these are examples of outstanding filmmaking.

It is easy to make an epic film. To distract the audience with stars and visuals and great battles, but filmmaking is storytelling, and the stories that last are not those that distract but those that connect and inspire. “The Lord of the Rings” connects and inspires. In an age of epic films, hopefully, we make more like it.