Jazz at Holmes showcases student performers

Merry May Ma | Contributing Writer

Last Thursday night, Jazz at Holmes featured students in the jazz performance program.

The first song was called “Triste,” originally written by Antonio Carlos Jobim. Two faculty members, Jeff Anderson and Steve Davis played the bass and the drums, respectively. The melody of ”Triste” reminded me of a French pub— lazy and intoxicating.

What followed was a song called “There Will Never Be Another You.” Fierce drumbeats and percussion poured into the audience. Anderson leisurely fiddled with bass strings and smiled at the pianist from time to time. Davis, in contrast, was quickly brushing the drum surface with an enjoyable smile on his face.

The third and fourth songs, “Recordane” and “Bye Bye Blackbird,” were played by junior Helen Kaul.

Sophomore Aalisha Jaisinghani sang three songs, and I was fascinated by her wide range of sound. She was a storyteller with her singing. Near the end of the night, Aalisha sang three original songs, “Katharine Ann,” “Kansas City” and “Last October.”

“I feel really good about it,” Jaisinghani said about her performance. “It is very nice to play with a close friend in the music department and be able to do what I love within a small group of audience [members,] especially because the pianist, Helen Kaul, is one of my best friends, and she is in my band as well. It is really nice to be able to do what I love with my best friend.”

“Jazz at Holmes is a really spontaneous event because we had a cancellation of a previous program, but we loved the opportunity to perform, to study, to practice,” Kaul said. “And it is special to play on campus in such a beautiful room for my friends and for anyone who comes to the concert.”

“We accompany students,” Davis said. “That’s what we are here to do. It is more like a spontaneous playing than a performance.”

Throughout the fall semester, students at Washington University and the public can enjoy free live performances by noted local and regional jazz artists from 8-10 p.m.