‘Netflix and Chills’: Spooky fall break picks

Sabrina Spence | Staff Writer

October is the month when goblins and ghouls crawl out of the woodwork, because it’s the month that signifies one thing and one thing only: Halloween. This month, Netflix has introduced us to some content we never knew we needed with “Netflix and Chills.” It’s an entire section dedicated to the gory and the spooky, the frightening and ghostly—it’s the best of the best Halloween content to get us in the mood for the 31st. With fall break coming up and the weather getting chillier, who doesn’t want to curl up with a blanket, some hot tea or cocoa and watch “The Shining” or “V for Vendetta”? But to add new movies and TV shows for our epic fall break binge, Netflix has to remove some of our favorites, so here are just a few of the masterpieces we have to say goodbye to: “The Rugrats Movie,” “The Human Centipede” (the first one and the sequel), “90210,” “The Secret Life of Pets” and “Southside With You” (saying goodbye to the Obamas more than once is tough).

Although saying au revoir to these shows and movies is a difficult task, we must realize that Netflix has blessed us with a gold mine of spooky content, all compiled in one place. The Halloween section is divided by category, making it much easier to sift through, and I have chosen some notable and eye-catching titles from each to give you some cold-weather viewing inspiration.

Ominous TV Shows

“American Horror Story—Cult”
The season seven of “AHS” is on Netflix, which I personally believe is the most Halloween-esque you can get. Binge the first six seasons too if AHS is what you need to feel connected with the season.

Trending Now

“Terrifier”
It’s about a murderous, psycho clown who kills people in an apartment building…but he doesn’t talk. I don’t like clowns, so this movie is my ultimate horror nightmare.

Movies Based on Books

“Coraline”
Buttons for eyes, tiny closets leading to another world, a mother who is actually made out of sewing needles…This movie introduced a younger me to horror movies and I must say, I have never looked back. It’s a classic—you have to watch it at least once this month.

THE-BABADOOK-Official-Poster-Banner-PROMO-18AGOSTO2014-02

Popular on Netflix

“The Babadook”
This doesn’t even need an explanation: It’s just proof that Netflix is doing a really good job of making Halloween a month-long affair and it should always be as such. But! It leaves Netflix on Oct. 14, so you need to hurry if you want to watch it.

TV Dramas

“A Series of Unfortunate Events”
Based on the beloved series by Lemony Snicket, “A Series of Unfortunate Events” employs the acting talents of Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf, and I am (not so) patiently waiting for the third season.

New Releases

“Little Evil”
This Netflix original centers around a man who becomes the stepfather to the antichrist (talk about an interesting family dynamic). This man’s name is also Gary. Of course this would happen to Gary; things like this always happen to guys named Gary. Gary also just so happens to be played by the same man who played Ben in “Parks and Rec,” Adam Scott.

Award-Winning Movies

“Raw”
A vet student is forced to eat raw flesh as part of a hazing ritual, and then she becomes a cannibal. I must say, I want to see how this one plays out. I’m intrigued.

Critically-Acclaimed Movies

“The Devil’s Candy”
The title alone makes me want to watch it, so I’m already sold. What kind of candy does the devil eat? Cinnamon Jolly Ranchers. But in all honesty, this has nothing to do with sugary confections. A man moves his family to a new house, but instead of enjoying the white picket fence life, he becomes possessed by the devil.

Horror Movies

“Halloweed”
Weed and Halloween. Based on what I’m able to gather, I think this is the whole premise of the movie. A serial killer’s son and his stepbrother interact with stoners in a rural town, and I’m actually really excited to watch this. I’m not going home for fall break, so this is what I’ll be doing in my dorm room—watching “Halloweed.”

Stranger-Things-Season-3-Kids-Logo

Netflix Originals

“Stranger Things”
All I have to say is: WHERE IS SEASON THREE?

Happy binge-watching, Washington University! I hope to see all of you wrapped in a blanket with your eyes staring at your laptop screen at some point this month.