#QUEENS Ilana Glazer and Beth Stelling perform in Graham Chapel

| Senior Cadenza Editor

This past Saturday, Washington University’s Social Programming Board held its Spring Comedy Show in Graham Chapel featuring Ilana Glazer and Beth Stelling, two comics known for their acting and writing. This marks the first time SPB has had a female headliner for the official Spring Comedy Show.

I ended up being one of the only guys sitting front and center, which created an interesting dynamic for me to experience Stelling’s set. In many of her jokes, especially the ones about men, she would—or at least it felt like she would—make direct eye contact with me. While somewhat unsettling at times, I kind of enjoyed feeling like I was at the butt of her jokes.

Spring Comedy Show opener Beth Stelling performs in Graham Chapel in preparation for Ilana Glazer’s set Saturday night.Josh Zucker | Student Life

Spring Comedy Show opener Beth Stelling performs in Graham
Chapel in preparation for Ilana Glazer’s set Saturday night.

Stelling and Glazer were both incredibly funny with honest, relatable sets. Both acts covered topics related to their respective sex lives, with Stelling also focusing on growing up with a single mother and two sisters and Glazer discussing adjusting to married life.

Stelling had a fun air about her. She told jokes about her experiences growing up, religion and men. Stelling’s delivery was impeccable and her casual, comfortable relationship with the audience enhanced the routine.

After years of male headliners, many saw the selection of a female comic as a refreshing change. In contrast to years past, much of the content in the show, while funny for everyone, was particularly relevant for women.

Ilana Glazer came onstage to a huge round of applause. While Glazer may not be the most widely-known comic on the scene today, she definitely has some of the most passionate fans. Before starting her routine, Glazer announced that the writing of season 5 of “Broad City” had officially finished, which was met with excitement from the crowd.

“Broad City” star Ilana Glazer performs in Graham Chapel Saturday night. Glazer featured imitations of stars like Jerry Seinfeld and Ariana Grande and discussed adjusting to married life.Josh Zucker | Student Life

“Broad City” star Ilana Glazer performs in Graham Chapel Saturday night. Glazer featured imitations of stars like Jerry Seinfeld and Ariana Grande and discussed adjusting to married life.

Glazer is one of those people who understands comedy at its fundamental level. She can talk about the mundane in a thoroughly entertaining way. Glazer was able to make Graham Chapel roar with laughter and applause, repeatedly.

Glazer’s set was saturated with jokes about her own life and her experiences. She talked about the feeling of abandonment after the curing of her HPV, growing up with hair that didn’t respond to gravity and her love of her DivaCup, among other topics.

She interspersed “micro impressions” into her set. From the likes of Scott Stapp of the band Creed, Jerry Seinfeld and Ariana Grande, Glazer gave impersonations consisting of a noise and facial expression, or gesture of sorts, that more or less captured the subject’s essence.

Glazer concluded her set with a question and answer session. She responded to questions that ranged from the most awkward part of filming, sex scenes, to whether the weed used in “Broad City” was real or not (it was not). She then brought a handful of students onstage to ask them about what the “youths” were up to these days.

All in all, the Spring Comedy Show was, in a word, excellent. The two performances were witty and sharp, and the jokes were well-crafted and relatable. Both Beth Stelling and Ilana Glazer are remarkable comics and writers and brought Graham Chapel to life with their talent.