What to watch: What Cadenza binged over break

For most of us, winter break is full of wind, snow and desperate (perhaps futile) attempts to regain the sleep we lost during the fall semester. So, naturally, winter break generally leads to excessive amounts of TV watching (or are we the only ones?) While classes, sports and extracurriculars may be starting up again, we can all pretend we’re still on break by extending our binge-watching. Whether you’re a horror, comedy or drama lover, there’s a show to binge for everyone. Here are the best shows our staff watched marathon-style over break:

Broad City

Available on: Hulu Plus
“Broad City” is the love child of Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson and follows the two as they live life in New York. The two girls make plans and schemes together before those plans and schemes eventually fall apart. As the two go through life, you feel sucked into the torpor of their progress. That being said, the show isn’t depressing so much as it is hilarious. Seeing Ilana and Abbi interact with each other, their friends and the world around them constantly brings out the oddest of situations. One of the highlights of the show is Hannibal Buress’ character, Lincoln, a dentist who casually hooks up with Ilana. The writing is phenomenal, and the way that the shows’ characters interact with each other always makes for hilarious moments. Although I only got through half of the show on Hulu over break, I still am making time to watch an episode every now and then and am keeping track of when new episodes are coming out.
—Josh Zucker, Staff Writer

The Crown

Available on: Netflix
Following the ascension to the throne of Queen Elizabeth II and her subsequent reign, the first two seasons of “The Crown” on Netflix have garnered widespread acclaim. I’ve never been a huge history buff or enjoyed watched dramatic retellings of historic events, but “The Crown” quickly drew me in. Whether it be the lavish costumes, breathtaking scenery or knowledge gained about the British royal family and traditions, there is something in this show for everyone. The most noteworthy (and often quite astonishing) part of this show is that it is all true. There are many moments in the show where you sit, somewhat dumbfounded, not actually believing these events have occurred. But, as Wikipedia can quickly verify, it’s all surprisingly true. The reality, in fact, is sometimes even more shocking than the quick glimpse we get on screen. With four seasons still in the works, there’s plenty of time to start watching this historical drama and even more time to get yourself into a Wikihole.
—Alana Raper, Contributing Writer

Gossip Girl

Available on: Netflix
“Gossip Girl” isn’t a great show. It isn’t even a good show. It’s riddled with inconsistent characters, contrived storylines and horrible late 2000s hairstyles. Characters fall in and out of love with each other at the drop of a hat, and when the writers run out of story ideas, they just throw in a good blackmail arc or two. The series follows a group of entitled, ungrateful and unreasonably attractive teenagers in New York’s Upper East Side as they struggle with insurmountable challenges like telling the truth, attending lavish balls and not cheating on their partners. All the while, an unknown blogger named “Gossip Girl” exposes the main characters’ many secrets by publishing anonymous tips sent in by the community. “Gossip Girl” may not be quality content, but it’s insanely addictive.
—Aiden Blinn, Contributing Writer

Lovesick

Available on: Netflix
Calling all fellow hopeless romantics: “Lovesick” is a clever British sitcom following charming protagonist Dylan on his quest to find a grand, sweeping, ruin-your-life-but-in-a-good-way type of love. An untimely, albeit somewhat comical, chlamydia diagnosis leads him on a chase through the list of his past sexual partners, necessitating frequent flashbacks that brilliantly structure the show to place an emphasis on the role of storytelling in the human experience of emotion and love. One of the most appealing aspects of “Lovesick” is how real and raw the experiences and emotions are, which made me realize just how many other shows are missing that crucial mark. Also, basically all the characters are objectively hot.
—Elena Quinones, Contributing Writer

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Available on: Amazon Prime
The “Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” took two Golden Globes this year, and it’s easy to see why. The show, set in 1950s Upper West Side New York, follows a traditional Jewish housewife named Miriam whose life crumbles when her husband abandons her and their kids. Drunk and alone, Miriam wanders into a stand up comedy club and discovers strength on stage through a previously suppressed talent for comedy. The stand-up scenes are hilarious, Miriam’s relegation to the role of devout housewife is powerful and the show is historically relevant (in one scene, Miriam boldly protests the innocence of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.) Miriam’s desire to find her role in society and in her personal life as a woman remains poignant today. There are only eight episodes in the first season; so, you can quickly get caught up for season two, air date unknown.
—Ali Gold, Senior Cadenza Editor

The Mindy Project

Available on:
Hulu Plus
Before winter break, I had seen one episode of “The Mindy Project.” By the time school started again, I had snort-laughed my way through 54 episodes, set the theme song as my alarm and put three Mindy posters in my Amazon shopping cart. The show is set in New York City and stars Mindy Kaling as Mindy Lahiri, a gynecologist and rom-com fanatic trying to find the perfect partner. Self-centered, brash and whip-smart, Mindy has many stumbles in her quest for love—but her misadventures are hilarious. The show also often features Kaling’s fellow comedians as guest stars—Seth Meyers, Ed Helms and Bill Hader all appear in the first season. Although the show has its flaws, it’s refreshing to see a woman of color create and star in her own comedy. “The Mindy Project” ended in 2017, but there are six whole seasons available on Hulu for your viewing pleasure.
—Lily Hamer, Contributing Writer

Peaky Blinders

Available on: Netflix
If you haven’t experienced the amazingly badass historical action drama that is “Peaky Blinders,” I would suggest bingeing its four seasons immediately. Based off of a real street gang that operated in Birmingham, England after the first World War, “Peaky Blinders” follows the various exploits of the Shelby crime family led by Thomas Shelby (Cillian Murphy). The soundtrack is the best I have ever heard on a television show—the theme song is the devastatingly cool “Red Right Hand” by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds—featuring bands such as the Arctic Monkeys, The White Stripes, The Raconteurs and Queens of the Stone Age. Netflix grabbed this show from the BBC, and we can hopefully expect a fifth season by 2019. Besides the positives of amazing actors (Sam Neil and Tom Hardy both feature as villains), stylish scenery and great action sequences, “Peaky Blinders” also brings some comedy to the table in unexpected ways in this otherwise serious drama. This show is a fascinating look at the gangster genre that doubles as studying for any early modern European history class.
—Kendall Carroll, Music Editor

The Handmaid’s Tale

Available on: Hulu Plus
I don’t know whether to be proud or ashamed of finishing “The Handmaid’s Tale” in under 24 hours. That’s all.
—Olivia Szymanski, Contributing Writer