What to watch: Shows to look out for this fall

| Editor-in-Chief

Video may have killed the radio star, but streaming hasn’t killed TV—at least not yet. As September rolls to a close, here’s a quick rundown of some of the best new shows coming to television, encompassing a wide range of genres.

“Ghosted”

Premieres: Oct. 1
at 7:30 p.m. CST
Channel: Fox

The “Ghosted” premise is as follows: a college professor (an avid believer in ghosts) and a cop (a skeptic, reluctant to follow along), both down and out, are recruited to work for a paranormal investigative agency to find a missing agent. This already sounds like comedic gold off the bat, and with “Parks and Recreation” star Adam Scott and “The Office” star Craig Robinson as the professor and cop, respectively, “Ghosted” seems like a real winner. While the show’s first episode—which streamed on Twitter early this week as part of a new promotional effort by Fox—hasn’t gotten rave reviews, the uber-talented leads provide hope for its future.

“Ten Days in the Valley”

Premieres: Oct. 1
at 9 p.m. CST
Channel: ABC

Showrunner Tassie Cameron based “Ten Days in the Valley” on a bad dream she kept having: Her young daughter would be abducted, while she worked in their shed. Kyra Sedgwick of “The Closer” stars as the fictionalized version of Cameron, an overworked cop-show producer named Jane Sadler who finds her work reflected in real life. In the 10-episode first season of the program, 10 days both before and after the disappearance of Sadler’s child are covered, with each episode diving into a single day. Despite the short timeline, the show is being praised for its suspense and for its inclusion of women in the creative, behind-the-scenes process, making it one to watch.

“The Mayor”

Premieres: Oct. 3
at 8:30 p.m. CST
Channel: ABC

“The Mayor” follows a struggling hip-hop artist (Brandon Micheal Hall) who decides to run for mayor in a small California town as an audacious publicity stunt—but ends up winning, to his own shock as much as anyone else’s. The show benefits from a strong bench, too: “Community” star Yvette Nicole Brown and “Glee” lead Lea Michele round out the cast. While the idea of an unqualified politician taking office might seem a bit stale with shows like “Designated Survivor” and “Veep” already on air (and with Donald Trump as president), the strong actors on “The Mayor” make it a show you should watch. Besides, original rap songs for the show are being written by Daveed Diggs of “Hamilton.” So, even the on-air tunes promise to be memorable.

“Dynasty”

Premieres: Oct. 11
at 8 p.m. CST
Channel: CW

Based on an 80s soap opera, “Dynasty” follows heiress Fallon Carrington (played by “Victorious” star Elizabeth Gillies), who unhappily discovers that her father is engaged to an employee, Cristal. Full disclosure: The star of the original “Dynasty” has called the remake “total s—,” saying that the new series holds little resemblance to one on which he starred back in the day. But overall, the consensus seems to be that “Dynasty” is what it is: a soapy look into the lives of the absurdly rich. Moreover, with “Gossip Girl” frontrunners Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage as executive producers, “Dynasty” promises viewers the drama they love from popular CW staples like “90210” and “The O.C.”

“White Famous”

Premieres: Oct. 15
at 9 p.m. CST
Channel: Showtime

Jay Pharoah of “Saturday Night Live” fame stars in this dramedy as a comedian working to expand his following beyond his current, primarily black, audience. “White Famous” is based on the real life experiences of Academy Award winner Jamie Foxx, who co-executive produces the show and guest stars in its first season. The series provides a look into the microaggressions a black comedian faces, both in the entertainment industry and in everyday life. With race relations a perennially relevant issue, especially in the primarily white entertainment industry, “White Famous” promises to offer a look at the darker underpinnings of the comedic world. Its all-star cast is just icing on the cake.