Battle of the Headliners: Weezer or Snoop?

| Music Editor

It’s that time of the year again: LouFest is taking over Forest Park this weekend for the city’s biggest music festival.

For 2017, LouFest has moved onto the Muny Fields and is boasting more events (look out for the hot air balloon rides), more local food vendors and a formidable lineup of artists.

One thing that hasn’t changed, however, is the ticket prices. If you can only afford one day of LouFest, here is the Cadenza guide to choosing the perfect lineup:

Snoop Dogg performs at a concert in 2012. The artist will be one of the headliners at LouFest this year, performing on Saturday to close out the first day of the annually held festival.Luis Sinco | Los Angeles Times/MCT

Snoop Dogg performs at a concert in 2012. The artist will be one of the headliners at LouFest this year, performing on Saturday to close out the first day of the annually held festival.

Saturday —Dog and Kittens

The first day always starts off great—the field hasn’t been destroyed yet, no one is thinking about Monday and the Coachella lookalikes are out in full force. Lots of local bands fill out the lineup today, with a visits from Hippo Campus and ZZ Ward wrapped into the afternoon. Spoon takes the stage around 6 p.m., and for fans of the mellow rockers, they will be debuting their new album “Hot Thoughts” ahead of the start of their official tour. Cage the Elephant takes a solo spot at 7 p.m.—they have a new album to plug as well, but listen for a lot of their old hits. 8 p.m. is an odd slot, with the BMI-Tunespeak Stage playing headliner warm-ups Rainbow Kitten Surprise (think of a mixture between Modest Mouse and Kings of Leon with an amazing name) while across the field, the Bud Light Stage debuts its tribute to Chuck Berry. And of course, the night will end with Snoop Dog closing out the first day of LouFest. We’re hoping for a surprise guest spot by his BFF, Martha Stewart.

Weezer’s lead singer, Rivers Cuomo, performs at Coachella. The band is headlining the second day of this year’s LouFest.Daniel DeSlover | Zuma Press/TNS

Weezer’s lead singer, Rivers Cuomo, performs at Coachella. The band is headlining the second day of this year’s LouFest.

Sunday — Run, W(h)eeze, Sweat

By Sunday if you are looking for any excuse not to do your homework, head on over to the field early to catch a plethora of up-and-coming bands playing the small stages. By 4:30 p.m., Houndmouth will be pumping up the crowd with some classic indie-rock sound before Lecrae takes the stage for a switch to hip-hop. At 6:30 p.m., be in the front row of the Bud Life Stage for one of my favorites this year: Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats. A little folk, a lot of soul and some hints of old-school Creedence Clearwater Revival make up this amazing new band. Go check out their single “S.O.B.” if you need convincing. Run the Jewels hits center field at 7:45 p.m., and if you were looking to dance at LouFest, there will be no better place. This is the rap portion of Day Two, so make sure to see RTJ if you miss Snoop. The big headliners this year will bring back the middle school nostalgia with “Say it Ain’t So” and, if we’re very lucky, “Buddy Holly.” Weezer will grace the Bud Light Stage to close out this year’s festival, and if their past setlists are any indication, it will be a show fans will not want to miss.

Whichever day you make it over to the Muny Fields will be amazing. LouFest has a talented and varied lineup this year—you’re bound to see something you like.