Free performing arts events on campus this weekend

| Theater Editor

If you’re looking for something to do this weekend that won’t require a wallet, look no further than the performing arts events on campus. Shows in the real world are expensive (just check out StubHub), so take advantage of these amazing performances and artists right on our campus!

The A.E. Hotchner Playwriting Festival

Where: The Hotchner Studio in Mallinckrodt
When: Friday, Sept. 19 at 7 p.m. and Saturday, Sept. 20 at 2 and 7 p.m.

If you’ve ever been curious about the process of playwriting and play development, the A.E. Hotchner Playwriting Festival offers a unique (and oftentimes unknown to the public) view of how theater happens. Every fall, the Performing Arts Department shows several staged readings of student-written shows. This year includes works from 2014 graduate Will Jacobs, law student Cary Simowitz and senior Kristen O’Neal. Jacobs’ play, “Telegraph,” will be produced as a part of the PAD season this April. Guest dramaturge Ed Sobel is sure to be a wealth of information for the audience.

Thyrsus’ No Shame

Where: Olin 2 in the Women’s Building
When: Friday, Sept. 19 at 10:30 p.m.

Another playwriting event, No Shame, is Thyrsus’ (Wash. U.’s oldest student theater group) monthly gathering of writers, actors and artists. If you have a written work—a monologue, short scene, poem or more—you can bring your piece to No Shame and see someone else perform it on the spot. If you’re interested in submitting to the A.E. Hotchner competition coming up later this year, try out some of your writing at No Shame. Thyrsus is known for its shameless performances—don’t be afraid to get a little strange! Even if you don’t have anything to submit, the performance is bound to shock and delight.

Preparing the Mind and Body Workshop

Where: Mallinckrodt Room 101A
When: Saturday, Sept. 20 at 9 a.m.

If you have always wanted to learn how to use your body better in performing (and just in life!), this movement workshop hosted by Kellie Spano, graduate teaching assistant, and guest Annamaria Pileggi will be sure to activate both your brain and your muscles. These two incredible artists (I can vouch) will explore two movement techniques: Suzuki and Viewpoints. Though the workshop is free, space is limited and participants must sign up by emailing [email protected]

K.A.R.L. Improv’s 11th Anniversary Alumni Show

Where: Emerson Auditorium in Bauer Hall
When: Saturday, Sept. 20 at 9 p.m.

Join the alumni and new members of K.A.R.L. in its first show of the year and, oddly, the 11th anniversary of the group (there’s got to be some humor in that, right?) K.A.R.L. is known for its short-form improvisational comedy and use of puppets, which I am hoping make a cameo in this show. I’ve never been known not to laugh at a K.A.R.L. show. If its alumni are as funny as the current undergraduates, I recommend preparing for side cramps in advance.