Whatever happened to… Lalaine?

| Music Editor
Giulio Marcocchi | Abaca Press | MCT

Lalaine, who played Miranda in “Lizzie McGuire,” has lately fallen off the radar.

Who can forget the apogee of all Disney shows, “Lizzie McGuire”? You’d be hard pressed to find a girl above 17 these days who wasn’t guided through the horrors of middle school by the infamous trio of Lizzie, Miranda and Gordo. Lizzie and her crudely drawn cartoon doppelganger taught us all how to talk to the cute boy, deal with the mean girl in the hallways and wear platform flip-flops or butterfly clips with style. Quite simply, you weren’t hip if you weren’t enchanted with the flowing golden locks of Ethan Craft or practicing your own biting Kate Sanders’ insults (“What’s your email? [email protected]?”).

We all know from the unforgettable “The Lizzie McGuire Movie” (2003) that eventually the trio had to graduate (middle school) and move on but not before a class trip to Italy where Lizzie found fame in a shiny silver pantsuit and finally realized Gordo had been in love with her all along. Of course, Hilary Duff went off on a mostly successful film and music career, which included the “Cheaper by the Dozen” film series, a triple-platinum album (“Metamorphosis”) and marriage to an NHL player. But whatever happened to Lizzie McGuire’s crazy-haired partner in crime, Miranda Sanchez, played by the succinctly named Lalaine?

Miranda didn’t get to go to Rome with Lizzie and Gordo and ride around on Vespas with cute Italian pop stars. In fact, Lalaine Vergara-Paras passed on the Lizzie McGuire movie because she was already filming another Disney Channel Original Movie, titled “You Wish!” (anyone remember that one?). Lalaine then went on to shoot a pilot spin-off centered on Miranda’s little sister in 2005, but the episode never aired. She had a role in 2007’s “Her Best Move” but mostly kept busy pursuing a music career, releasing an independent album in 2003 before touring with Radio Disney and signing a deal with Warner Bros. Records. However, her album with the company never got released, and she sort of fell off the Hollywood radar. Then in 2007 came news of her arrest for possession of methamphetamine. The actress managed to keep the whole thing under wraps fairly well, pleading guilty and taking a meth-treatment program that would expunge her record. Who would’ve thought?

In terms of recent exposure, you may remember Lalaine’s 30-second cameo as “Gossipy Girl” in teen comedy “Easy A”. She also apparently played bass in a band called Vanity Theft from 2010-2011. Beyond that, she seems to have withdrawn from the public eye, relegated to the shadowy corners of Hollywood, forever remembered as being Lizzie McGuire’s BFF—patterned pants, crazy hairstyles and all.

• bootin buddin

she was cast to make duff look better. ended up the other way around

• blake3b

Well she’s sober now and doing well it seems. I wish she hadn’t left the show and not been in the movie but it is what it is. But it is cool to see the cast of Lizzie McGuire getting together for mini reunions and photos lately on their Instagram pages.

• cjv

what an awesome release for her hope she has alot more i love her and her great accomplishments.

• cjv

it does not matter what happened in the past she is a good person and shall be remembered as a good actress and singer no matter the faults because we all have something we are not proud about i give her triple thumbs up for her contributions to tv and radio.

• cjv

she will always be my favorite character on lizzie mcguire tell it like it is.

• HmmLetMeThink

See children drugs are bad…

• glennethph

Wasn’t she also one of the Slayer trainees from the last season of Buffy?

• Sonja Elliott

So I do no drugs. So why do you people care if she who wad famous did. She is clean, an u know people don’t care if someone who is not famous doing drugs. Be happy she made it an people with butting in there lives leave them alone let them live they are people too. No wonder they do that stuff they can’t handle the pain just leave them alone. Thats all I have to say. An congrats to lalaine on getting clean I am proud of her.

• paul

By far the most talented cast member of the Lizzy Maguire ensemble and a very beautiful young woman.

• Hillary jackson

so sad

• Mrocker

I didn’t know she had drug problems

• heather

Poor Lalaine. I never would have imagined her doing meth. I wish Disney Channel didn’t have such an impact on it’s young stars.

• tinku

luv u lalaine

• cjv

just wanted to wish her a happy birthday and hope she is doing well.

• Jamie

I always had a crush on her. Now that I know she is was a meth addict, we may be a more perfect match than I once thought.

• j

this is the definition of studlife