‘24’: It’s the only thing that kept my family together

(Ray Mickshaw | Fox)

Well, it’s finally over. Just a few weeks ago, Fox pulled the plug on its venerable series, “24.”

How do we think the series is going to end? Honestly, who knows? Like the entire plot of “Lost” packed into every season, nothing is ever what it seems. I mean honestly, maybe President Logan is a good guy and totally not evil now. Actually, that could never happen.

So, while this season hasn’t been its strongest, Cadenza felt a tinge of sadness when we learned the clock was finally winding down. Actually, one of us felt that way; the other did not. The two writers were at odds with each other, and they had to find a way to settle their differences. We suggested pistols at dawn, hot dog eating contest at night. Then we realized we should just let our writers write. Here’s what they came up with.

That’s not entirely true, but it plays into the conservative values of the show. Dad appreciated the right-wing overtones, there was just enough violence for my brother, it satisfied my penchant for subtitles, and Mom thought Tony Almeda was extremely attractive.

Now that the show’s being cancelled, it’s coming under a lot of fire from folks who never spoke up in previous years (I’m looking at you, Adam). I’ll be honest: Many aspects of “24,” particularly as it pertains to torture, civil liberties or lack thereof, and the position of the United States in the world at large, were troubling at best. But it was really entertaining. Jack Bauer became a nouveau-Batman, using sweet gadgets and his own superior skills to put bad guys in their place. Every season brought new challenges, villains and weasly politicians who didn’t have the guts to do what was (debatably) best for this country.

Watching the show proceed in pseudo-real time gave you a sense of playing along, with a choose-your-own-adventure style, though it also made you acutely aware of just how much TV you were watching (a full day’s worth). Simplistic and culturally insensitive, “24” nevertheless gave us a comforting sense of right and wrong in times of uncertainty.

While I regret that the show will be no more, at least we can look forward to the recently green-lighted “24” and just how much it will lift American’s spirits.

Adam Rubin offers an alternative opinion on ’24’.