‘All in Good Time’ | Barenaked Ladies

The songs on “All in Good Time” have everything that makes the Barenaked Ladies great: rapid-fire lyrics that fit together in interesting ways, catchy tunes and solid vocals. In fact, it would be hard to define what’s missing from the album. But when you consider that this is the group that brought us such hits as “If I Had a Million Dollars,” “One Week” and “Pinch Me,” “All in Good Time” starts to feel a little bit disappointing. There are no hits. There aren’t even any deep tracks that you’ll want to introduce to people. It’s one of those albums you’ll listen to once, half-smile, and then bust out your copy of “Maroon.”

Consider “Four Seconds,” which is actually one of the better songs on the album. The rhymes are really interesting, and every once in a while a phrase will jump out at you: “Redesigned, redefined/Keeping up the spellbind/Gotta make it worth the grind/Just in time to have another close encounter of the third kind.” The Barenaked Ladies is one of the only groups that can pull off a completely random reference to “Close Encounters of the Third Kind.” But “Four Seconds” doesn’t do anything that “One Week” didn’t do better. Who could fail to love a song with lyrics like “Like Kurosawa, I make mad films/Okay, I don’t make films/But if I did, they’d have a Samurai”? And unlike “Four Seconds,” which is entirely composed of random, stream-of-consciousness phrases, “One Week” actually had a story to it.

Like I say, there’s nothing really wrong with “All in Good Time.” The Barenaked Ladies may be actually incapable of making a song I don’t like. But they can, and have, done better.

For fans of: Flight of the Conchords, Jason Mraz, Marchbox Twenty
Tracks to download: ‘Another Heartbreak,’ ‘Four Seconds’