Gamephoria: Too many games

| Senior Cadenza Editor

The perfect storm snuck up on me. I didn’t realize it was here until it was too late. When I browse the Web, I take mental notes of all the things that interest me—usually movies, “Lost” recaps, video games and the occasional deal from Woot. However, I see now that I forgot to do one important thing while logging these shiny things into my memory: combine them.

I took each one separately, each in its own bubble, without thinking about how they might clash with each other. No, I’m not saying I bought a dog and a cat or a bomb and a bomb squad. It’s much worse than that. Over the past month, I’ve somehow convinced myself to buy four video games this week.

The perfect storm snuck up on me. I guess that’s what makes it a perfect storm.

There’s a hierarchy to these games, but they’ve all passed the “Buy Me” threshold, so now I’m in a bit of a pickle. Should I buy the new “Pokemon,” with its old-school mentality and new-school pedometer, or should I buy “WarioWare: D.I.Y.,” which finally lets gamers choose how they want to pick that nose?

What about the game seeking redemption, “Red Steel 2”? I could see myself diving behind a few couches, if you know what I mean…

And then there’s “Cave Story,” the greatest game that never came out 20 years ago, and it’s only $12! I try to convince myself that I can afford two games, the inexpensive “Cave Story” and anything else. But I know I can’t. It’s a matter of money, and it’s a matter of time. I don’t have time to play two games, or even one game. There are obligations everywhere (like a hastily written article, for example), and things I need to get done in the real world, which lead to real-world consequences and rewards.

I’ve read comments online that actually blame the game industry for releasing too many great games at a time. I think this is one area where gamers need to take a step back and realize that they are essentially faulting the medium for being too good.

The real problem isn’t the game industry. It lies within. It’s that impulse to buy every wrapped game out there with Mario’s mug on the cover. We should actually thank game makers for giving us options, and in the event of a perfect storm, we need to learn, or at least I need to learn, how to control our trigger fingers and only buy one game at a time. Or two to three, if they’re used.