She’s Out of My League

(Left to right) Molly (Alice Eve) runs into her handsome ex, Cam (Geoff Stults) to the dismay of Kirk (Jay Baruchel), an average Joe who just can’t believe that she has fallen for him in the DreamWorks Pictures comedy “She’s Out of My League,” a Paramount Pictures release. (Darren Michaels | Dreamworks)

I remember when Steven Karp was a freshman at UNEC and he lost his virginity to his floormate Lizzie on “Undeclared.” This makes me remember when Lindsay Weir decided to hang with the freaks at William McKinley High School in “Freaks and Geeks.” And this makes me teary eyed with nostalgia and furious at the narrow-minded television executives who would rather produce “American Idol XXXVII” than two of the most rewarding series to ever grace the barren wasteland of network TV. But I digress. I should focus on the present. And the present isn’t too bad now that I have just finished watching an enjoyable and reasonably funny movie that makes me believe my next girlfriend could be as hot as Alice Eve.

This conventional, but very pleasurable, teen comedy is “She’s Out of My League.” The premise is simple. Kirk (Jay Baruchel) is a goofy, directionless security guard with the Transportation Security Administration who is a complete pushover when it comes to women. He is such a wimp that he does not stop his ex-girlfriend Marnie (Lindsay Sloane) from coming over to his house to hang out with his family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnkYskSd5U8

Unfortunately, Kirk’s family does not help with his self-esteem issues or lack of confidence. They consistently deride Kirk and offer him about as much moral support as Cardinal fans give to Chicago Cubs supporters.

A chance encounter at the airport results in Kirk meeting and going out on a date with Molly (Alice Eve). Molly is a gorgeous and successful event planner that looks like she should be dating Brad Pitt. But the two hit it off and they soon become an item. Their budding romance has left almost all of the people in Kirk’s life, including his goofball friends Stainer, Jack and Devon (played by the funny trio of TJ Miller, Nate Torrence and Mike Vogel) flabbergasted at the attractiveness of his new girlfriend. The rest of the movie follows a predictable storyline that tracks the high and low points of the new romance between Kirk and Molly.

Even though the movie has a predictable plot, there are some very funny moments throughout. The best parts usually involve Kirk’s friends at the airport. Devon is particularly memorable as a hopeless romantic who knows more about Disney movies than most 10-year-old girls. The group’s banter and antics, whether they are at a bowling alley or preparing Kirk to have sex with Molly, almost always bought a smile to my face produced laughter from the audience. One of the highlights of the movie is seeing Stainer’s Hall and Oates “tribute band” perform an emotionally charged set at a birthday party for Molly’s sister.

Not every movie needs to set trends or be the best movie of the year. Movies are about escaping reality for a few hours, even if you know what will happen in the end. In movies, as in life, the journey can be more important than the destination. This is unquestionably the case with “She’s Out of My League,” a movie that works within standard conventions to produce a memorable and funny feel-good comedy.

Directed by: Jim Field Smith
Starring: Jay Baruchel, Alice Eve, TJ Miller