What to Know Before Seeing ‘New Moon’ at Midnight

Kimberley French | MCT Campus

Kimberley French | MCT Campus

The second installment of the “Twilight” Saga, “New Moon,” will be released at midnight this Thursday night or Friday morning (Nov. 20), if you prefer. If you are planning on attending a midnight screening of the much-anticipated sequel, then there are a few things you should know ahead of time.

The Story

In case you missed the first movie, I’ll catch you up. “Twilight” stars Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan, a girl who moves to Forks, Wash., to live with her dad Charlie. Within a matter of weeks, she falls in love with her high school’s most mysterious attendee, Edward Cullen (played by the now-famous, tousled Robert Pattinson). It turns out that Edward and his “family” are vegetarian vampires who are trying to blend into human society. As would be expected, not all vampires are as human-friendly as the Cullens, and one of these carnivorous vampires attempts to steal Bella away from his vegetarian counterparts. By the end of the film, good triumphs over evil, and Bella, Edward and the rest of the Cullen clan make it out alive. This pretty much sums up “Twilight.” Of course, though, I forgot to mention Jacob Black, Bella’s Native American friend, who doesn’t have much of a role in the first movie but will now take on a much bigger one in “New Moon.”

The Fans

With any midnight viewing of a popular new movie, there are bound to be some crazed fans in costumes who have been waiting in line for hours to get the best seat. Yes, these fans may seem a little crazy, but they do not compare to the ones you will have to face at the midnight showing of “New Moon.” Will there be costumes? Possibly, but they won’t be too noticeable. What will be apparent is just how much noise a theater full of preteen girls can make at any moment and how many times they can make that much noise during a two-hour movie. Be prepared for shrill screeches every time a major character appears on screen for the first time (well, they don’t even have to be major). Robert Pattinson’s appearances will no doubt elicit at least a few screams every single time. There is not much to be done to preempt this impending ear pain, but just be cautious of where you sit in the theater. Although it will be a difficult task, try to find a seat that is relatively less saturated with 12-year-old girls.

The Logistics

If you intend on going to a midnight screening, you should already have your tickets, or you should go online and buy them right now, because they are bound to be sold out in many of the surrounding theaters. These girls work fast. In the same vein, if you want a decent seat, you should show up at least a half hour before the movie begins. At that point, there could still be a few seats that aren’t in the neck-craning front row. There is no question that some fans will have lined up beforehand to nab the best-situated seats. As I said earlier, carefully choose your seat based on those around it. You don’t want your memory from the movie to be that you couldn’t hear your professor the next day because the 13-year-old behind you screamed in your ear every 30 seconds.