‘Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind’

Have you ever sat down to watch a movie or play and found that you just aren’t interested in the scene or the characters? Do you wish you could just take control and make the scene simply disappear? If so, this weekend Thrysus is putting on just the show for you.

The event will be 30 Neo-Futurists Plays from “Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind.” It’s running 8-9 p.m. on Friday and Saturday in the Village Black Box, as well as 2-3 p.m. on Saturday. You might ask if 30 plays in 60 minutes is even possible, but that’s what is going to make this show so interesting. Before the performance starts, the audience members will be given a list of the titles and will be responsible for picking each and every one that will be performed. The cast will be ready to act them out in any order, per the desires of the audience. The plays are short, ranging from 10 seconds to five minutes. Even the most hyper students will be able to keep up with this show. At the end of the hour, the show is over—even if the cast happens to be in the middle of the performance.

Each of the plays brings something different to the table. As junior Dan Tobin, the director, put it, “some are hysterically funny. Some are deeply thought provoking. They include everything from social commentary to abstract poetry. One of the plays is even a musical.” Because of the audience participation, the performance will be different every time. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t go twice or even all three times. You will probably be delighted in a new way with each show.

The cast consists of senior Kate Healy, juniors Chris Kammerer, Matt Rosenthal and Cory Williams and sophomores Selena Lane, Rachel London, Joanna McNurlen and Amanda Spector. The show was jointly directed by Tobin and junior Eli Keehn with lights by junior Scott Griffith. Tickets are $1-$6 at the door, depending on the role of a die.

When I go, hopefully I’ll be able to ascertain the musical act from its potentially non-descriptive title. At least, going in, I will be able to know how interesting of an hour this is going to be. After all, how cool would it be if you could actually change the world approximately every two minutes?