In defense of Megan Fox

Lionel Hann | MCT

Lionel Hann | MCT

Yes, I’m defending Megan Fox, the 23-year-old sex symbol/actress who has been impossible to avoid these past few months. Fox’s currently supernova-ing celebrity might make you think that she doesn’t need any sort of defending, but I disagree. As long as people like Princeton Hynes are deriding her as a “skank” in our very own college newspaper, I will be there to come to the defense of the woman I have lost my heart to for all eternity.

One of the first complaints people make about Fox is that she hasn’t proven herself as an actress. Well, no one, including Fox, denies her fame has nothing to do with her acting. She is upfront about the fact that the Transformers films are not about the “acting experience,” and she has told GQ, “Really, my only job is to look attractive.” Fox is famous because she was lucky enough to be cast in “Transformers,” and Hollywood, the entertainment media and the public immediately anointed her America’s newest sex symbol. Our culture has a long tradition of turning women into sex symbols regardless of talent, and to hold this tradition against Fox is simply irrational.

Furthermore, the various pejorative insults launched against Fox—that she’s trashy and a “skank”—are completely unwarranted. Unlike the trainwreck girls who dominated the tabloids for most of the decade, Fox keeps out of trouble, and is never seen wasted and coked out like Lindsay, Britney or Paris were in their prime.  By all accounts, in her private life Fox is responsible and behaves respectably (especially compared to some of her peers).

Fox may be less promiscuous and less prone to binge-drinking than a large percentage of Wash. U. students, but Hynes still has a problem with what Fox chooses to wear on the red carpet. Fox’s outfits are consistently over the top, flagrantly acknowledging the sex appeal responsible for her career in the first place. To Hynes, this is unacceptable, but in my opinion it’s a smart move. It demonstrates that Fox is aware of her celebrity persona and that she knows how to manipulate it. This is America, and Hollywood is a business—why blame Fox for playing the right publicity cards?

Fox’s red-carpet aesthetic is also an honest reflection of the culture that put her in the spotlight. It’s an unapologetic, in-your-face display of a truth most people would prefer to ignore: Our culture still loves to objectify its women. Fox has no intention of pretending that isn’t the case, and, considering the source of her fame, it’s ridiculous to expect her to. Fox is honest, even in her dress, and that’s a trait that’s getting harder and harder to find in the media these days. Personally, I find it refreshing. Fox doesn’t sell the Disney fairy tales Hynes wants her to, but that’s not her job, and the expectation for her to do so is completely outmoded.

But enough about Fox’s appearance. In addition to having perfect bone structure, Fox is one of the funniest starlets to grace magazine covers in a long time. Fox has a biting, sarcastic sense of humor, and she doesn’t censor herself in interviews. When asked by an Entertainment Weekly reporter what she thought could be the worst-case scenario for her career five years in the future, she responded, “Umm…that I’d be on ‘The Hills?’” She dryly describes her first movie, “Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen,” as “one of the cinematic greats.” She claims to be Alan Alda’s doppelganger. Her take on “High School Musical” is surreal: She told “Esquire,” “Let me tell you what it’s really about. ‘High School Musical’ is about this group of boys who are all being molested by the basketball coach, who is Zac Efron’s dad. It’s about them struggling to cope with this molestation. And they have these little girlfriends, who are their beards. Oh, and somehow there’s music involved.” Oh, and she adds, “You have to get stoned and watch it.” What’s not to love?

• Mom

Hi Brian,

I really liked your article this week and completely agree. Great writing and I hope you are enjoying school.

Love,
    Mom

• some_guy

My sense it is possible that Megan Fox seems to have struck a nerve of some fear mongering consciousness. Never really noticed her until I read about the letter from the stage crew. Then saw her on a talk show and SNL. There’s something about Megan that I find wonderful – touches my heart. Maybe it is God’s Love and Grace.

• Gilbretta

yah, people just mistook her… I love megan… She’s different!

• http://www.meganfoxweb.com Ashley

@Gena, I don’t believe it was written by the same person. :/
    —————————————————————————————-

Thank you for writing this article. I think some people don’t like Megan because they don’t understand her. They’ve barely given her a chance to realize just how amazing she is. She says some really sweet things and is extremely intelligent.

Everyone else is just jealous because she’s the only person who isn’t ‘caught up’ in Hollywood, who is actually beautiful other than Kristen Stewart and a very selective few others.

• Gena

Meg is a moron and I don’t look up to people who do drugs or pretend like they hurt themselves or are crazy. She doesn’t have to act trashy but she chooses to be that way. I look up to pretty, sexy women who are intelligent, and this chick is dumb as a box of rocks.

P.S. The comments above were written by the SAME person, haha.

• http://www.megansafox.com nicolaspata

Finally i found a good article about Megan. All you said is truth.
    I dont know why many people hate her. I just love her.
    I love the fact that she is so honest, she is outspoken, her personality is badass.

• Biia

I totally agree witchu!

I mean, people talk soooo much shit about her and they don’t even know her.

And god…i feel so sad for her..having people that u dont know HATING on you.

I think she’s a great person and we need more love in this world!

Megan don’t worry, we love you and everything its going to be allright (bob marley style)_ huauhauhah

kisses!

• shell

Finally someone is saying something good about megan fox. I completely agree with this article and am so tired of people judging her for doing things that a normal girl does, so what if she swears and talks sarcastically, that is not exactly far off from society’s norm. As a college student I am surrounded by young women who constantly call her a slut, whore, etc. but honestly they all seem to be jealous and their accusations literally have nothing to back them up.

• Shea

It;s great someone is defending her. I love her and I think she is one of the coolest people.

• Kat

I am so happy someone like you has some sense and knows not to judge someone for stupid reasons. Megan Fox is okay she’s not my favorite actress. I really liked her in the Jennifer’s Body movie. I thought she was a good actress in that but I hate it when people call her a whore and stuff. How is she a whore? Seriously and people say she acts bitchy, she’s being honest and being herself to the public which I respect her for that. I agree with you 100%. Besides you can’t really judge someone unless you met them in person. That’s how I feel.

• headdoverheels

Thumbs up. :)
    If you’re forming an army to demolish all those Goddess – Megan Fox – haters, count me in.

• Gaby

I’m so glad that FINALLY someone defends Megan Fox! Thank you! Every argument made in the article holds valid. Love the article. Keep on defending her!