Top 10 stoner movies
We don’t encourage it, but we’ve done it. Whether it is (or should) be legal or not, there is no denying that marijuana is a noticeable component of our culture, especially as college students. We are not here to tell you that you should set aside some cash for a little cannabis, but if doing so is already a part of your lifestyle, than you know the perfect complement to a fresh or subsiding high is the perfect stoner movie. We are no expert on marijuana, but we all know our way around a Blockbuster when under the influence. There are simply some flicks that elicit more laughs by leaps and bounds when the viewer has just completed a smoke session than when in a clear state of mind. And with Method Man and Redman coming to campus for W.I.L.D., we at Cadenza can’t think of a more fitting tribute. But for those out there who need some help, here is a list of the ten best stoner movies.
10. “Pineapple Express” – The most recent celebrated movie made for the pot-smoker, “Pineapple Express” combines an excellent cast and an excessive number of reefer scenes to start off the list. Seth Rogan plays his standard role, but James Franco and his classic stoner mannerisms steal the show.
9. “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure” – The idiotic duo’s time-travelling journey involves no direct use of marijuana by the characters, but Bill and Ted’s quest to pass their history class is so ridiculous that it will make any intoxicated viewer choke on their own laughter. With the spectacular work in the dawn of Keanu Reeves’ acting career, “B & T’s Excellent Adventure” makes the cut.
8. “Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls” – A comedy too clean to show Jim Carrey puffing a joint in Africa, this memorable sequel delivers such frequent and jovial laughs that the stoned viewer will have no choice but to pause every so often just to catch his breath.
7. “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” – This cinematic masterpiece is so applicable to any viewing stoner that we have no choice but to include it in the top 10. With the timeless topless pool scene and the exceptional pothead performance by Sean Penn as Spicoli, “Fast Times” proves to be an all-time classic.
6. “Dude, Where’s My Car?” – So simple. So stupid. Yet so brilliant. Any true stoner knows how easy it is for Acapulco gold to erase the brain of all competence. But to forget a night full of hoo-hoo’s, thousands in cash, aliens, Zoltan and sweet tattoos must have required some serious strain of cannabis.
5. “Half Baked” – The comedy of Dave Chappelle reveals its prowess in this stoner film about a group of buds trying to rescue their friend from jail. The scene of the gang’s first smoke session becomes unbearably funny as one kid takes a dip in the convenience store slushee machine.
4. “Super Troopers” – The opening scene explains it all. When we found out that the snozzberries do in fact taste like snozzberries, we were hooked on “Super Troopers” more than we’ve ever been hooked on Mary Jane.
3. “Dazed and Confused” –Perhaps the greatest stoner flick created in the beginning of our lifetime, this masterpiece revolutionized the cannabis category of film. The 1993 hit also allowed for Matthew McConaughey, Ben Affleck and Milla Jovovich to pave their road to stardom.
2. “Planet Earth” – Not technically a movie, this mini-series is the most epic material ever captured on camera. Put simply, it will make you believe in God. Insert “Shallow Seas” or “Jungles” into the player after a quick smoke, and “Planet Earth” will undoubtedly blow away your mind.
1. “Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle” – This movie has to make our number one spot, simply because it perfectly captures the smoker’s nightly quest to find the consummate meal. Some have their Taco Bell, others have their Pizza Pockets but Harold and Kumar have their White Castle. This cinematic adventure is so hilarious and applicable to the conventional pothead that it is unquestionably the ultimate stoner movie.