Cadenza Calendar: Summer Edition

For those of you staying in St. Louis this summer, there’s no shortage of activities to keep you entertained. Here’s a calendar of arts and entertainment events (most of them cheap or free) that you can check out over the next few months:

Ongoing

Shakespeare in the Park
Throughout May and June, the Shakespeare Festival will present “Henry IV” and “Henry V” in Forest Park. The two shows will alternate nightly and admission is free. WUSTL will also host a special trip to see “Henry IV” on Friday, May 30 as part of its “Summer at WUSTL” programming.
May 17 – June 15, Shakespeare Glen in Forest Park

Muny Shows
There’s no shortage of outdoor theater in Forest Park! Over the course of the summer, the Muny will present seven musicals: Billy Elliot, Tarzan, Porgy & Bess, The Addams Family, Seussical, Grease and Hello, Dolly. Tickets can be as cheap as $14, with seats in the last several rows available for free.
June 16 – August 17 (click for individual show dates), The Muny in Forest Park

St. Louis Art Museum
If you haven’t had the chance to explore the SLAM’s (free!) permanent collection yet, especially its new modern wing, this summer is the perfect time. There are also some great special exhibitions going on this summer, including exhibits showcasing Impressionist France (open now through July 6) and abstract expressionist painter Mark Rothko (opening May 24). And here’s a tip: go to the SLAM on a Friday, when the museum is open until 9 p.m. and tickets to special exhibitions are free. Fridays in July are also when the SLAM hosts its free outdoor film series.
Open every day except Monday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. (9 p.m. on Fridays)

Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum
We also have plenty of free, world-class art right here on campus! There are three special exhibitions that will be on display at the Kemper through August: “Moving Parts: Time and Motion in Contemporary Art,” “Inside the Palace of Fine Arts: Cosmopolitanism at the 1904 World’s Fair,” and the 2014 MFA Thesis Exhibition.
Open every day except Tuesday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.

May

Spring to Dance Festival
This Memorial Day weekend, you can see performances from 30 different dance troupes from across the country at the annual Spring to Dance Festival. Genres ranges from ballet and tap to hip-hop and aerial, and tickets are only $15 a night.
May 22-24, 6 p.m., Touhill Performing Arts Center

St. Louis Bluesweek Festival
Embrace St. Louis’ famed music scene at this two-day festival, which will feature classic St. Louis barbecue and plenty of great blues artists, including Otis Clay and the Royal Southern Brotherhood. Admission to the festival zone and barbecue area is free, while tickets to the amphitheater shows are $10 in advance and $15 day of show.
May 24-25, 11 a.m. – 10:30 p.m., Chesterfield Amphitheater

St. Louis African Arts Festival
The 23rd Annual African Arts Festival will include performances, films, authentic foods, art tours, cultural demonstrations and a marketplace full of jewelry and textiles.
May 24-26, World’s Fair Pavilion, Forest Park

Concerts:
Rascal Flatts – Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, 5/16
Danity Kane – The Pageant, 5/22
Brad Paisley – Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, 5/30

June

St. Lou Fringe Festival
Experience the weirder side of St. Louis’ arts scene at the third annual Fringe Festival, which will feature a wide variety of original music, dance and theater performances. Tickets are cheap and performances are held in various locations throughout the city.
June 18-22, multiple locations

Concerts:
CHVRCHES – The Pageant, 6/2
Disclosure – The Pageant, 6/12
O.A.R. and Phillip Phillips – The Fabulous Fox Theater, 6/12
Luke Bryan – Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, 6/12 & 6/13
Skrillex – Chaifetz Arena, 6/17
Hot 104.1 Super Jam ft. Kendrick Lamar – Scottrade Center, 6/21

July

Fair St. Louis
Celebrate Independence Day at this free three-day festival on Art Hill, billed as “America’s Biggest Birthday Party.” Performers will include The Fray, Bonnie Raitt, The Band Perry, Capital Cities, The Neighborhood and many more. And of course, no Fourth of July celebration would be complete without a spectacular fireworks show.
July 3-5, Art Hill, Forest Park

Let Them Eat Art
Food and art—what more could you want? Celebrate Bastille Day with art demonstrations, dance performances and live music, plus food and drink specials at Maplewood’s renowned restaurants.
July 11, Downtown Maplewood

The Skinny Improv “Use Your Words” Show
As part of Wash. U.’s “Summer at WUSTL” programming, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society will perform a sketch improv show in the Gargoyle. Bring a book or two that the group can use as inspiration.
July 19, 7 p.m. Gargoyle

Concerts:
Vans Warped Tour – Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, 7/2
Fall Out Boy and Paramore – Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, 7/6
Jack White – The Fabulous Fox Theater, 7/20
Panic! At The Disco – Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, 7/26
Kings of Leon – Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, 7/31

August

Contemporary Night Out
Hosted by the Contemporary Art Museum, the Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum and the Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts, this free event spotlights different aspects of contemporary art through a series of short, informative programs.
August 1, 6 p.m., begins at Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum

Concerts:
OneRepublic – Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, 8/2
Miley Cyrus – Scottrade Center, 8/10
OK Go – Old Rock House, 8/13
Katy Perry – Scottrade Center, 8/17
One Direction – Edward Jones Dome, 8/27